Spurs Web
Borodin

Would No Europe Be A Good Thing Next Season ?

Would there be any advantages to not qualifying for Europe next season ?. For one thing the new manager could concentrate solely on the Premier League and domestic trophies without having to worry about flying to previously unheard of clubs mid week and risking injury to players.

It would perhaps give us the breathing space needed to clear the decks regarding unwanted players as we would not need such a large squad and could invest more in quality rather than quantity.

It may seem a bad thing but to be honest I would rather finish 8th and have a 'year off' from Europe than qualify for this new ECL competition that is basically a third rate CL.

Let's bring a manager in who has just the squad and the domestic competitions to worry about for his first season. Priority being that we secure a place in Europe 22/23 with hopefully a top four finish next year.

We are not going to attract any better players even if we do finish 7th, so why not settle for 8th and use the time to reform and rebuild ??

It’s sad to admit this but I totally agree with your logic. This club is at a real inflection point and whatever decision Levy makes will have huge consequences for years. I think Spurs have really suffered with a lack of commitment and investment and what monies have been spent have been wasted on players like N’Dombele and Berwyn - players that just can’t get the job done. We’re constantly running out of gas and motivation at the end of each season and I for one would not mind a year out of Europe if it meant the team would really rebuild under a proven manager. Sadly I don’t think we’ll get either a legit rebuild or a top manager

Whats the 'prize' for winning the Europa conference?  an all inclusive stay in Benidorm perhaps or a play off for CL qualification 

genuine question as Im not sure .

If we get Europa League place then worth going for , conference maybe not so 

To be honest Im fed up with the club, Levy, players (some) . Hope nobody turns up V Villa in protest at the pricing 

14 minutes ago, Audere Est Facere said:

Whats the 'prize' for winning the Europa conference?  an all inclusive stay in Benidorm perhaps or a play off for CL qualification 

genuine question as Im not sure .

If we get Europa League place then worth going for , conference maybe not so 

To be honest Im fed up with the club, Levy, players (some) . Hope nobody turns up V Villa in protest at the pricing 

Ya get to travel to a load of dodgy country’s mate that’s nice 

It’s a blessing in disguise really ,,,if Kane and son jumps ship then Europe football is bottom of our list ,,,the league and fa cup would be grail for us .if we are lucky enough to keep those 2 the same applies with greater priorities 

Winner gets Europa League group stage guaranteed next season if not already in CL  haha 

it really is for the duffers 

love the way its all worked and set out tho, thats my ideal job, sports logistics 

https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaconferenceleague/news/0264-10fe90612aa3-37b2bc77f89e-1000--europa-conference-league-explained/

8 minutes ago, Audere Est Facere said:

Levy should say £5m to Kane/Son selected others if we win the Premier League next season 

If we top 4 then £1m 

less than that and they do a weeks charity gig :-)  

It’s all designed for uefa and FIFA to make more money nothing else sepp blatter ,,plattini blah blah blah all corruption kings ,,,easy money off the donkeys that’s why there was a esl ,,what the clubs did is nothing compared to what uefa and FIFA rob ,,,the World Cup is the most currpte voting rig in the universe 

35 minutes ago, Mr8ball said:

It’s all designed for uefa and FIFA to make more money nothing else sepp blatter ,,plattini blah blah blah all corruption kings ,,,easy money off the donkeys that’s why there was a esl ,,what the clubs did is nothing compared to what uefa and FIFA rob ,,,the World Cup is the most currpte voting rig in the universe 

i meant it as a bribe to stay and then win something here would mean so much more than win it at City say 

I was discussing this with the Spurs mate the other day it's a real two-edged sword isn't it , I'm guessing it will be a loss not having any European football at the ground when the supporters come back and the revenue would be gone .if we get the Europa League then at least there's a good outcome of that if we win but I just want a manager to play some of the youngsters get them bedded in it does give you more time to experiment with different team setups and a new managers going to need that I just wish they got rid of the bloody carapoo cup I think that's a waste of space

4 minutes ago, Craig Truespur said:

I was discussing this with the Spurs mate the other day it's a real two-edged sword isn't it , I'm guessing it will be a loss not having any European football at the ground when the supporters come back and the revenue would be gone .if we get the Europa League then at least there's a good outcome of that if we win but I just want a manager to play some of the youngsters get them bedded in it does give you more time to experiment with different team setups and a new managers going to need that I just wish they got rid of the bloody carapoo cup I think that's a waste of space

I just think we need a clean page to start writing on and give the new manager as little room for excuses as possible. No Europe next season would mean no mid week travel, no increased injury risk to players and the opportunity to concentrate solely on domestic success. No more "The mid week travelling really took it out of some of the players and we looked tired today" during press interviews.

As I said before we are not going to attract better quality players because we have qualified for this new ECL competition. Let's forget Europe for a whole season and begin this rebuild on firm foundations so that when we do return next season it's hopefully in the CL.

I'm more convinced than ever after the Villa game that this team needs to finish 8th and avoid the ECL fiasco. There is much work to be done and having to play in such a competition is exactly what this club does not need next season. Let's get back to the basics and begin to rebuild. The new manager must be given time to make squad changes and have realistic targets within the domestic league for 21/22.

We need to swallow this bitter pill and accept our current woeful shortcomings. Only by accepting how truly poor we are can we begin to restore this club to it's former glories and give the fans a style of football that befits the new stadium but more importantly their support.

We are a shambles at the moment. Daniel needs to come to terms with that fact and start the Spring cleaning May 24th. He's hinted with his statement today by saying he realises the club has not focused on it's priorities and that changes are coming. We can only hope he stands by those words.

18 minutes ago, Audere Est Facere said:

I reckon if we just had domestic next season we could win the treble  

I honestly think it would do us the world of good mate and bring some of our so called 'stars' back down to earth with a bump. It would be a huge wake up call to the club. If you're going to fall then make sure you hit the bottom. After that it's all about going back up.

Thing is over the last 6-7 seasons, all the big 6 shall we call them have had one or two bad seasons, other than Man C  theyve all dropped out the top 4/5 places at least once 

This is our turn, and then come back stronger 

we need some investment but sensible, I would love Ollie, Jack, Ake, Eke , Skipp back and starting, Dele on fire English backbone again 

6 minutes ago, Cromulentmart said:

I hope we qualify. It will be a nothing competition, but an ideal opportunity to give some experience to players hoping to make the transition from youth team to first team. 

I totally agree with you Crom , the prize for winning the whole thing is a group stage in next seasons Europa League, well id want CL qualification from our league performance next season , so winning it is somewhat irrelevant right now, more about giving experience to the reserves/youth 

Thing is of course 'we ' say that now, but once we are in it, if we put out a 'weak' team and go out too early it will be  arghhh why did we do that from the rabble 

On 5/11/2021 at 1:36 PM, Borodin said:

Would there be any advantages to not qualifying for Europe next season ?. For one thing the new manager could concentrate solely on the Premier League and domestic trophies without having to worry about flying to previously unheard of clubs mid week and risking injury to players.

It would perhaps give us the breathing space needed to clear the decks regarding unwanted players as we would not need such a large squad and could invest more in quality rather than quantity.

It may seem a bad thing but to be honest I would rather finish 8th and have a 'year off' from Europe than qualify for this new ECL competition that is basically a third rate CL.

Let's bring a manager in who has just the squad and the domestic competitions to worry about for his first season. Priority being that we secure a place in Europe 22/23 with hopefully a top four finish next year.

We are not going to attract any better players even if we do finish 7th, so why not settle for 8th and use the time to reform and rebuild ??

I agree entirely with what you say - the task of a rebuild at our club is far bigger than I or anyone else thinks for that matter!.

Finishing 8th will definitely keep us out of Europe. 

For me, I feel we are right back to square one and looking at some 3 or 4 years to get back to being a genuine top 4 club. 

I would like to see Potter or Ten Hag as coach.

For me playing in Europe starting with the 'Mickey Mouse' stage playing against fellow lowly clubs would be an unwanted encumbrance. Give the new manager just one target and not playing extra matches would be helpful by not playing on Thursdays. 

For me, the EPL and CL are the ultimate goals - eventually  winning those would elevate us back amongst Europe's best. 

COYS 

8 hours ago, Audere Est Facere said:

Thing is over the last 6-7 seasons, all the big 6 shall we call them have had one or two bad seasons, other than Man C  theyve all dropped out the top 4/5 places at least once 

This is our turn, and then come back stronger 

we need some investment but sensible, I would love Ollie, Jack, Ake, Eke , Skipp back and starting, Dele on fire English backbone again 

This is all true, maybe except for ManC.

I’d actually be well happy with Ollie, Jack, Ake & Eke (bad injury?) coming in, although we still need another two defenders - CB and RB I think. 

Skipp is a shoe in next season and means AT LEAST one of Sissoko and Winks can surely be sold. Dele I’m happy to hold onto and see if he can get his mojo back. His value has dropped in any case after 2 poor seasons. Sessegnon is back I guess?

Off topic I know! Sorry!!! 

Europe.... yes overall probably good to play youth, but not going to cry if we miss out as I get my midweek nights back to focus on going to hockey training :-)