Spurs Web
Borodin

Away Goals Rule To Be Scrapped

European football: Away goals could be scrapped in Uefa's club competitions

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/57286931

Introduced in 1965 it has certainly caused excitement together with both elation and heartache since it's arrival. Many will consider this yet another decision which sterilises the beautiful game whilst others will see it as removing what was an unacceptable method of arriving at an acceptable result.

Personally I love it as an incentive for visiting sides to try and go on the offensive to gain that golden advantage of an away goal rather than simply 'park the bus' and hope that home advantage does the trick in getting through to the next round.

So what are your thoughts, should we tinker with this or would it be better to keep things as they are ??

2 hours ago, Audere Est Facere said:

Keep it for European knockouts BUT it only counts in 90 minutes not extra time else the away team in second leg get 120 minutes to score away goal against first leg away team only have 90 minutes to score away goals.  Very unfair!!

Excellent point. :thumb:

It had the flaw of still producing draws. It also meant if any team lost 0 - 1 or 0 - 2 at home, it meant that coming up with a game plan that didn't give a further advantage to the opponents was much harder. 

Replays are not an answer these days with a congestion of games, I am happy with penalty shootouts. They add drama and excitement for me personally - if the game has been drab and boring because both teams played cagely, it is compensation to we who have suffered watching it. 

COYS 

2 hours ago, Jamesinashby said:

It had the flaw of still producing draws. It also meant if any team lost 0 - 1 or 0 - 2 at home, it meant that coming up with a game plan that didn't give a further advantage to the opponents was much harder. 

Replays are not an answer these days with a congestion of games, I am happy with penalty shootouts. They add drama and excitement for me personally - if the game has been drab and boring because both teams played cagely, it is compensation to we who have suffered watching it. 

COYS 

It has produced some wonderful moments .. CL Semi Final against Ajax for one :thumb:

1 hour ago, Audere Est Facere said:

3 3 away draw has to be a better result than a 0 0 home draw and it was until now. Crazy

UEFA are clueless messing with this and ignoring play acting cheating diving racism poor treatment of refs etc 

It makes you wonder who exactly runs the game. UEFA or the TV companies who pile the money into the game. Are UEFA simply following orders from their paymasters. 

They certainly don't listen to the clubs or fans. 

COYS 

This never made sense to me. If they are tied at the end of the last leg, play extra time and then penalties to decide like any other knockout situation.

2 minutes ago, KCspurs said:

This never made sense to me. If they are tied at the end of the last leg, play extra time and then penalties to decide like any other knockout situation.

It was designed mainly to encourage the visiting sides to take a more attacking stance rather than simply defend and try to win with home advantage. It did however favour the home team in the second leg if extra time was awarded. To my mind if you were going to have such a rule then it invalidated extra time which gave 30 minutes home advantage to one of the teams and you should just go straight to penalties.

It has made for some very exciting matches but I can totally understand it's demise.

On 5/29/2021 at 7:38 PM, Audere Est Facere said:

Keep it for European knockouts BUT it only counts in 90 minutes not extra time else the away team in second leg get 120 minutes to score away goal against first leg away team only have 90 minutes to score away goals.  Very unfair!!

Good point. 

Now you have pointed it out, it is so obvious. It  is surprising it hasn't been brought up before and changed.

I recommend that you are admitted to the Board at UEFA so that sensible rules can be introduced. 

COYS