Spurs Web
Borodin

Response Icon Review Perhaps ?

Let me firstly say that the last thing I want is to flood this place with response icons but I do think perhaps a review of the ones we have might not go amiss. We currently use Thanks, Ha Ha, Confused,Sad, Agree and Like. Personally I use 'like' quite a lot as it's a friendly response to someone's posting but does NOT necessarily mean I agree with the opinions / views expressed. It's more that I have appreciated reading another person's perspective on things and the effort taken to post. 'Agree' speaks for itself as does 'Sad' and 'Ha Ha'. I always struggle to use 'confused' as it's a bit of a wishy washy way of saying 'disagree' rather than saying you find the post hard to fully understand.

The last thing I want is a 'disagree' option. The whole idea of a forum is to encourage debate and not confrontation or argument. It is so easy to read another person's post and just casually press 'disagree' without responding as to why you think that way. That just poisons the atmosphere and at the end of the day we all want to get along and support the club. I see so many postings on other forums littered with 'disagrees' but nobody explaining why by giving their point of view as an alternative stance. I find it most irritating to see and it defeats the whole purpose of these type of websites existing. If you genuinely find a posting the complete opposite to your opinion then reply with something like "I must respectfully disagree with that" and then give your thoughts on the matter.

My proposal for icons is this :

Remove 'like' as it is often used as an alternative to 'agree' and just stick with 'agree'

Replace 'like' with 'friendly' which means you find the posting expressed in a thoughtful, friendly and non aggressive or confrontational manner.

Retain 'Ha Ha' (especially for my jokes), 'Thanks' and 'Sad' (for some of my other jokes)

Remove 'confused' because it fails to explain itself unless backed up with a post and is an extremely ambiguous expression.

Add one entitled "Winner" which would be the ultimate accolade available from other members. It basically means, when received, that you have posted what someone considers a faultless post which simply 'nails it' as regards the reader's own personal thoughts.

So we would have

Agree / Friendly / Ha Ha / Sad / Thanks and Winner

This would still give us just six possible responses but ones which are perhaps more easily reflective of our views.

So what do you think ?? Please let me know and if you respond with 'agree' then perhaps @Hastingsyid will kindly consider amending the icons accordingly. If not then we shall carry on with the current ones.

:thumb:

1 hour ago, Borodin said:

Let me firstly say that the last thing I want is to flood this place with response icons but I do think perhaps a review of the ones we have might not go amiss. We currently use Thanks, Ha Ha, Confused,Sad, Agree and Like. Personally I use 'like' quite a lot as it's a friendly response to someone's posting but does NOT necessarily mean I agree with the opinions / views expressed. It's more that I have appreciated reading another person's perspective on things and the effort taken to post. 'Agree' speaks for itself as does 'Sad' and 'Ha Ha'. I always struggle to use 'confused' as it's a bit of a wishy washy way of saying 'disagree' rather than saying you find the post hard to fully understand.

The last thing I want is a 'disagree' option. The whole idea of a forum is to encourage debate and not confrontation or argument. It is so easy to read another person's post and just casually press 'disagree' without responding as to why you think that way. That just poisons the atmosphere and at the end of the day we all want to get along and support the club. I see so many postings on other forums littered with 'disagrees' but nobody explaining why by giving their point of view as an alternative stance. I find it most irritating to see and it defeats the whole purpose of these type of websites existing. If you genuinely find a posting the complete opposite to your opinion then reply with something like "I must respectfully disagree with that" and then give your thoughts on the matter.

My proposal for icons is this :

Remove 'like' as it is often used as an alternative to 'agree' and just stick with 'agree'

Replace 'like' with 'friendly' which means you find the posting expressed in a thoughtful, friendly and non aggressive or confrontational manner.

Retain 'Ha Ha' (especially for my jokes), 'Thanks' and 'Sad' (for some of my other jokes)

Remove 'confused' because it fails to explain itself unless backed up with a post and is an extremely ambiguous expression.

Add one entitled "Winner" which would be the ultimate accolade available from other members. It basically means, when received, that you have posted what someone considers a faultless post which simply 'nails it' as regards the reader's own personal thoughts.

So we would have

Agree / Friendly / Ha Ha / Sad / Thanks and Winner

This would still give us just six possible responses but ones which are perhaps more easily reflective of our views.

So what do you think ?? Please let me know and if you respond with 'agree' then perhaps @Hastingsyid will kindly consider amending the icons accordingly. If not then we shall carry on with the current ones.

:thumb:

I think it would work well and I am happy to change to it - not that the existing one is wrong. I think that your suggestion does add a tad more flexibility to accurately describe how I feel. 

COYS 

Agree that sounds ok but for me it's the amount of allowed to put on mate that really frustrates me especially on game day?

Can we have the amount of memory that we put for pictures up because I wanted to show you a picture of my screw in my tooth but it won't take the amount

1 hour ago, Craig Truespur said:

Agree that sounds ok but for me it's the amount of allowed to put on mate that really frustrates me especially on game day?

Can we have the amount of memory that we put for pictures up because I wanted to show you a picture of my screw in my tooth but it won't take the amount

In a strange way I'm glad it wouldn't allow you as I'm having my tea at the moment :dd:. With regard to anything concerning forum set up and changes in software settings you need to speak directly to God (Hastingsyid). Just 'tag' him in a message by using the @ sign and then start typing his name (no space after the @ sign). It should then appear automatically for you to select :thumb:.

I'll do it for you in this one @Hastingsyid then he'll have a look for you I'm sure mate.

On 6/14/2021 at 5:30 PM, Hastingsyid said:

yeah ill get onto this in next few days and see what I can come up with :thumb:

My responses have now changed but the icons are a bit strange. The big one is that the confused face now reads 'winner' ?? Is it my system or are you still working on it mate ?

Just a quick question. Is anyone else having  a problem with the response icons ? I have the heart as now being friendly which is great but the 'winner' one I requested is there but appears as the old 'confused' face. The last thing I want to do is award someone a 'winner' icon if they see the confused face instead and think WTF is Borodin doing ?

18 hours ago, Borodin said:

Just a quick question. Is anyone else having  a problem with the response icons ? I have the heart as now being friendly which is great but the 'winner' one I requested is there but appears as the old 'confused' face. The last thing I want to do is award someone a 'winner' icon if they see the confused face instead and think WTF is Borodin doing ?

I had that happen so I didn't use it.

COYS

On 6/22/2021 at 2:51 PM, Hastingsyid said:

sorry chaps ive had a look and still dont know why this is happening so ive asked a question,might have to return to the previous ones

give me a few days to try and see what i can do

Best to put the current 'winner' one back as confused because that's the facial expression on the emoji but if you can find one that represents 'Winner' that would be great. I would respectfully suggest that the one we currently use as 'Thanks' (The Cup) would be better entitled as Winner and we look for a new one to express 'Thanks' perhaps the applause one would fit :l:  ????

Leave it with you but confused definitely needs to go back as it was.

1 hour ago, Borodin said:

Best to put the current 'winner' one back as confused because that's the facial expression on the emoji but if you can find one that represents 'Winner' that would be great. I would respectfully suggest that the one we currently use as 'Thanks' (The Cup) would be better entitled as Winner and we look for a new one to express 'Thanks' perhaps the applause one would fit :l:  ????

Leave it with you but confused definitely needs to go back as it was.

@Hastingsyid

Is there a way you can link up the WhatsApp gif search and we can add them, I'm still struggling to add my own Media

35 minutes ago, Craig Truespur said:

@Hastingsyid

Is there a way you can link up the WhatsApp gif search and we can add them, I'm still struggling to add my own Media

I use imgflip.com to create memes then I anonymously generate them, right mouse click on the picture and select 'copy picture link'. That then allows me to paste them in here. Don't know if that helps a bit mate ?

12 hours ago, Borodin said:

I use imgflip.com to create memes then I anonymously generate them, right mouse click on the picture and select 'copy picture link'. That then allows me to paste them in here. Don't know if that helps a bit mate ?

Not sure mate I'm trying to do it from my Smartphone my kids have broken all my laptops and I've only got a silly Google Chromebook thing I rarely use

so this is a forum but we cant disagree cos god forbid some numpty gets upset , we cant be confused incase it upsets some transexual !!!   and theres no dislike button cos we all have to be harmonious 

This is football not home economics 

Also my posts are 'liked' a lot which dissappoints me greatly cos Im aiming to annoy you all :-)

On 6/25/2021 at 4:09 PM, Audere Est Facere said:

so this is a forum but we cant disagree cos god forbid some numpty gets upset , we cant be confused incase it upsets some transexual !!!   and theres no dislike button cos we all have to be harmonious 

This is football not home economics 

Also my posts are 'liked' a lot which dissappoints me greatly cos Im aiming to annoy you all :-)

Just to clarify, confused will hopefully be coming back to accompany the old icon which for some reason is now showing "winner". I have requested the current cup icon be titled 'winner' and a new thanks icon using the shaking hands symbol :l:

Now to your main point. You are perfectly entitled to disagree with someone's post, that's what we hope for. This is a forum where differing views and opinions are welcome in order to keep the place going. What I hate to see is someone (like yourself) take time and trouble to perhaps post up a link or do some research on a subject and comment subjectively and interestingly on it only for someone to come in, read it and just post a 'disagree' emoji response. It does nothing but infuriate members because it's the coward's way out. If you read something and you disagree then have the balls to state why you think the post is wrong and back up your argument with your viewpoint in order to encourage friendly debate. It may well be the case that at the end of the discussion both parties 'agree to disagree' and move on but at least both sides have contributed.

It absolutely drives me mental when someone just does that in the other forums. I see posts like "I think Harry Kane is Spurs greatest ever striker" and some arse responds with a 'disagree' icon and leaves it at that. Why not reply and say something along the lines of "I disagree with you there, for me it will always be Jimmy Greaves', for example.

I would fight tooth and nail in here to prevent a 'disagree' icon from being available. It destroys the very lifeblood of a forum...friendly debate.

@Hastingsyid   you any nearer putting things right mate ?

On 6/26/2021 at 8:37 AM, Hastingsyid said:

Put the original ones back for now as the system will not accept the new ones for some reason.I will try to find out and try again another time

Something definitely up with the response icons now. First the friendly one disappeared and I just see the word 'friendly' now. As of this morning the friendly one has now moved to the far left and also the confused icon now simply says 'confused'. Thanks (the cup) has now moved to the furthest right of the selection.

What's happening mate ??