Spurs Web
Borodin

Wasp Alert

Went outside at 6am today to scare about 20 feckin big crows off my bungalow roof. It was like trying to sleep with soldiers marching overhead. That's when I noticed a wasps nest under one of the roof tiles very close to the guttering (so not too high up). I went to my local hardware shop and said to the guy behind the counter "Do you have anything for wasps ?". He gave me a wry Irish smile and said "I hear they're particularly fond of marmalade". I had to smile but I did eventually come away with some foam to spray late this evening when the nest is quiet. I've also ordered some nest powder online just in case of future emergencies.

As I was leaving a guy said to me "If all else fails try WD40 on the entrance, that'll make them go mental". I checked online and sure enough WD40 contains something that stops the wasps breathing and they suffocate. Just for devilment I popped up the stepladder and gave the opening a quick spurt. My God they went berserk. They are now trying desperately to get back in but can't. I've come inside and left them to it, making sure the windows are shut.

I shall deliver the killer blow later :thumb:

Anybody else suffering from the little pests ?

You took a real risk there my friend. You were lucky to get back indoors without being attacked by dozens of them. They go berserk and attack en masses. 

Years ago we had a similar situation. The council guy had a full protection suit on like a bee keepers before approaching the nest. We were watching through the window and the little buggers were flying into the window trying to get to us. The window became smeared with their venom as the were obviously trying to sting us through the pane!! 

We were told not to go near the nest area for a few days. 

COYS 

1 hour ago, Jamesinashby said:

You took a real risk there my friend. You were lucky to get back indoors without being attacked by dozens of them. They go berserk and attack en masses. 

Years ago we had a similar situation. The council guy had a full protection suit on like a bee keepers before approaching the nest. We were watching through the window and the little buggers were flying into the window trying to get to us. The window became smeared with their venom as the were obviously trying to sting us through the pane!! 

We were told not to go near the nest area for a few days. 

COYS 

Two ways of doing it. If you can access the nest then the best time to spray it is early morning and late evening when it's quite full and that's the dangerous part. You need to always ensure you have a fast exit prepared. I couldn't get to the nest only the entrance which was a small gap between two roof tiles. You have to therefore rely on the wasps to deliver the poison inside the nest for you. The best way to do that is spray the entrance during the day when they are at their busiest. I went back up the step ladder later last night about 7pm. I stood 'side on' to the entrance and waited for a pause in the traffic flow. Then I gave the hole a massive burst of Doff foam spray and made my escape.

Within minutes there were dying wasps coming out and the ones that had managed to go in had kindly delivered the poison for me. Massive swarm for about an hour with them desperately trying to get in but couldn't then it started to go quiet. Had the odd one circling around but by 10pm there wasn't a wasp in sight. Woke up this morning and no activity at all. Gave it another quick burst just to make absolutely sure but looks like I've sorted it. :thumb:

I learn about what's the hard way when I first bought my house they tended to like coming in the wooden Eaves of the loft. The worst thing is I've got asthma allergy so I react to bloody things worse than anyone else and go up like a balloon but I just could not put up with them being up in the loft because we couldn't get any stuff in and out.

I did what you did mate and got the spray foam which is good if you've got good access and an easy getaway which up in the loft you don't really have when you trying to get down a little hole and ladders but I was an idiot I thought I'd take it on anyway.

Luckily when I went out the loft I took the foam and a spray with me just in case they came at me which came in handy. 

I sprayed the foam on the nest which seem to be doing the trick as it was sort of dissolving and they were struggling and I could hear them getting angry but luckily will not too many will coming back into the loft till I turn around and saw these two big Monsters flying around the fluorescent light. Luckily I've got quite lightning moves and I sprayed these gets as hard as I could buy the light and they were so big you actually heard them hit the wood like to bumps.followed by my boot.

Once I came down dripping with sweat with all the clothes  I tried to put on and full of loft dust in my throat and the sprays I thought I'm never doing that again.

Now I've got a professional on the case if I ever need it they come straight out put their professional spray in get sucked through to the nest because most of the time we can't get to the nest it's stuck in between the Eaves and the roof.

Downside put up a pretend nest in the loft if you get them in there because  they don't want to go up against rivals, maybe we should try that again some of the teams we play:dd: