Jump to content
Spurs Web
Borodin

The Daniel Levy/ENIC Thread (DL/ENIC Related Content Only Please)

Recommended Posts

Thought we'd have just the one place to go to when airing our thoughts and opinions regarding our Chairman/ENIC from now on. I'll kick us off with this posting.

Love him or hate him the guy does draw a crowd.

The one thing I am struggling to understand with Daniel is his appointment of Paratici and the terms and conditions on which the post was accepted by Fabio. Initially when I read that DL was 'stepping back' from becoming involved in transfer negotiations and was placing his confidence and trust in the new DOF I was pleased that he'd finally realised his shortcomings in that area of club administration. His curt and bombastic style won him little respect from the clubs he was dealing with and hopefully FP would offer us a much more experienced and diplomatic approach.

Early signs were promising with incoming players and then we had the revelation that DL was handling the Harry Kane situation but that was something Fabio agreed to when appointed. I could totally understand and accept that especially if it was a mutually agreed pre -contract condition.

It's the Traore wrangle that has me concerned. I assumed that a budget was given for Nuno and Paratici to work within so the two of them could bring in the players they identified as best suited (and priced) to be part of the squad rebuild. I also assumed Levy would let them get on with that task without any direct interference. Stories now seem to be emerging that both manager and DOF went to Levy for him to sign off the purchase of Adama but they were refused because DL thought he was over priced.

This then offers two viewpoints on the matter. The first is that £50m took Nuno and FP over budget so they needed DL to sanction the extra expenditure which he declined to do. The other is that although the purchase was within budgetary limitations Levy questioned the reasoning/judgement behind such a signing and said No.

It's that latter one which raises the warning flags. If that is what happened then FP has every right to an explanation of the true extent of his powers as DOF and Nuno should be rightly upset that the Chairman has questioned his assessment and need for a player he used to manage and knows exceptionally well.

I am quite sure that Paratici would take it as an insult to his expertise and abilities, particularly if his initial contractual limitations regarding his ability to bring in new players were originally purely financial and clearly stipulated. If Daniel has been unable to walk away and let them do the jobs they are paid to do then his meddling will only succeed in causing disharmony and unrest.

The last thing we need is a 'puppet' DOF to act as a buffer for Daniel when signings go wrong and I am quite sure that was not what Fabio envisaged his position to be either. Something seems not quite right about all this and hopefully some 'clear the air' talks will have taken place to the mutual satisfaction of everyone involved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Borodin said:

Thought we'd have just the one place to go to when airing our thoughts and opinions regarding our Chairman from now on. I'll kick us off with this posting.

Love him or hate him the guy does draw a crowd.

The one thing I am struggling to understand with Daniel is his appointment of Paratici and the terms and conditions on which the post was accepted by Fabio. Initially when I read that DL was 'stepping back' from becoming involved in transfer negotiations and was placing his confidence and trust in the new DOF I was pleased that he'd finally realised his shortcomings in that area of club administration. His curt and bombastic style won him little respect from the clubs he was dealing with and hopefully FP would offer us a much more experienced and diplomatic approach.

Early signs were promising with incoming players and then we had the revelation that DL was handling the Harry Kane situation but that was something Fabio agreed to when appointed. I could totally understand and accept that especially if it was a mutually agreed pre -contract condition.

It's the Traore wrangle that has me concerned. I assumed that a budget was given for Nuno and Paratici to work within so the two of them could bring in the players they identified as best suited (and priced) to be part of the squad rebuild. I also assumed Levy would let them get on with that task without any direct interference. Stories now seem to be emerging that both manager and DOF went to Levy for him to sign off the purchase of Adama but they were refused because DL thought he was over priced.

This then offers two viewpoints on the matter. The first is that £50m took Nuno and FP over budget so they needed DL to sanction the extra expenditure which he declined to do. The other is that although the purchase was within budgetary limitations Levy questioned the reasoning/judgement behind such a signing and said No.

It's that latter one which raises the warning flags. If that is what happened then FP has every right to an explanation of the true extent of his powers as DOF and Nuno should be rightly upset that the Chairman has questioned his assessment and need for a player he used to manage and knows exceptionally well.

I am quite sure that Paratici would take it as an insult to his expertise and abilities, particularly if his initial contractual limitations regarding his ability to bring in new players were originally purely financial and clearly stipulated. If Daniel has been unable to walk away and let them do the jobs they are paid to do then his meddling will only succeed in causing disharmony and unrest.

The last thing we need is a 'puppet' DOF to act as a buffer for Daniel when signings go wrong and I am quite sure that was not what Fabio envisaged his position to be either. Something seems not quite right about all this and hopefully some 'clear the air' talks will have taken place to the mutual satisfaction of everyone involved.

The question still out on Levy is playing catch-up over Four Seasons especially of not getting a striker,  dof was a good move it has helped us get some Talent in and hopefully will get all their Deadwood out of  but we have to keep building, I say the next step of all the money coming in from the boxing and everything else that Levi is going to be doing  Stadium naming we will have a decent striker possibly a new Ericsson in January as backup and to get us closer to top 4.coys

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me, I see it that DL feels he has a duty of care to manage the books so that the club is never put in any form of financial danger. I can never see a situation where DL will actually allow a Dof and manager to dictate how much much cash must be made available for transfers and wages. I personally think DL will have made it clear to FP and the Dof. 

If this pandemic hadn't occurred, I think more money would have been created from games and the various events that would gone ahead in the stadium. That may well have allowed FP and the  DoF to push harder for the players they were after. Conversely, it allows the deadwood to be cleared by encouraging clubs to buy them by lowering the price. 

For some unknown reason, I have never really taken to DL despite all the good things he has done. The stadium is fantastic and doubles as a cash cow which no other EPL can claim. Quite likely it will prove to be the key that returns us to being a great club. He has made the club around the 5th wealthiest in Europe. I have tended to judge him on not finding a way to fund the footballing side of the club. I perhaps wrongly judged he could have managed the footballing side of thing better to compete against the clubs with fabulously rich owners who have fiddled the system to buy their success. 

As you all know on here, I am always prepared to change my view if I am presented with alternative views that make sense. I now feel that, as no one person is perfect, mistakes are sometimes  made with judgements and actions. Therefore, I have decided to wipe the slate clean and to regard him as doing a good job. Also to to accept that he ardently puts THFC to become a genuine top European club winning trophies above making profits for shareholders. 

COYS 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jamesinashby said:

For me, I see it that DL feels he has a duty of care to manage the books so that the club is never put in any form of financial danger. I can never see a situation where DL will actually allow a Dof and manager to dictate how much much cash must be made available for transfers and wages. I personally think DL will have made it clear to FP and the Dof. 

If this pandemic hadn't occurred, I think more money would have been created from games and the various events that would gone ahead in the stadium. That may well have allowed FP and the  DoF to push harder for the players they were after. Conversely, it allows the deadwood to be cleared by encouraging clubs to buy them by lowering the price. 

For some unknown reason, I have never really taken to DL despite all the good things he has done. The stadium is fantastic and doubles as a cash cow which no other EPL can claim. Quite likely it will prove to be the key that returns us to being a great club. He has made the club around the 5th wealthiest in Europe. I have tended to judge him on not finding a way to fund the footballing side of the club. I perhaps wrongly judged he could have managed the footballing side of thing better to compete against the clubs with fabulously rich owners who have fiddled the system to buy their success. 

As you all know on here, I am always prepared to change my view if I am presented with alternative views that make sense. I now feel that, as no one person is perfect, mistakes are sometimes  made with judgements and actions. Therefore, I have decided to wipe the slate clean and to regard him as doing a good job. Also to to accept that he ardently puts THFC to become a genuine top European club winning trophies above making profits for shareholders. 

COYS 

 

That was exactly my point James, either Daniel told Nuno and Fabio how much was available to fund the rebuild and they were still working within that budget when recommending the club bought Traore but he said NO ! or they were going above that limit and needed his permission to over spend. If it's the latter then I completely understand but if it's the former then that just undermines the DOF's levels of authority and shows DL cannot keep his sticky fingers out of the transfer pie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mr levy the longest serving chairman in football,,gone from worth a £1 ,,,to a billion pound club ,,,not bad ,,,could be worse we could have the idiots that run Barcelona a multi billion club to nothing ,,love or hate,,I wanna be in our position not Barca 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Financially Levy has done well and I can’t criticise him as he’s not put the club in dire straits in that sense. 
 

However he’s royally screwed up past few years with sacking poch instead of backing him after we had a run of seasons at top and spurs seeming like a big club again. 
got Jose in as he thought grass was greener and it turns out actually pochettino was overachieving if anything with that group of players because Jose couldn’t  make them play. 
then the whole euro super league which was a disgrace (although granted you could argue a little hypocritical hysteria around it given how premier league was born). 
And now we have this seasons manager search debacle. 
 

i used to be a fan but I’m changing my mind, i think he’s screwed up last few years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Craig Truespur said:

Does boxing nfl concert money go straight into enics pockets, thus useless for thfc?

That money goes down as thfc revenue ,,all money generated at the stadium goes down as spurs income  ,,,the more the stadium makes the more we can invest in the squad ,,,clever mr levy ,,,another £1.5 mill made on beer and food on a evening when nearly all stadiums are empty doing nothing ,,just sitting there Rustin like leaky old Trafford.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Mr8ball said:

That money goes down as thfc revenue ,,all money generated at the stadium goes down as spurs income  ,,,the more the stadium makes the more we can invest in the squad ,,,clever mr levy ,,,another £1.5 mill made on beer and food on a evening when nearly all stadiums are empty doing nothing ,,just sitting there Rustin like leaky old Trafford.

Ok I'll eat more sausage rolls and drink more beers next time...its for charity :1579412966_emo1:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Following on from the discussions in the Arsenal match thread it's an interesting responsibility 'paper trail' that could be constructed. Let's start from the bottom :

Gutless performance from the players. Was that solely their fault or the inability of the manager to motivate them enough for a derby match ?

Team selection wrong / tactics wrong = down to the manager surely.

Squad not good enough = fault of DOF and Nuno or does Daniel Levy have too much influence in this area and should back off from such decisions ?

DOF not good enough ? = poor appointment by Levy

Manager not good enough = poor appointment by Levy and or Paratici

At the end of the day the chain of command has to go all the way back to the Chairman and the famous "The Buck Stops Here" sign must sit on DL's desktop.

He has been responsible for some extremely bad decisions and also a failure to place his trust in the abilities of the people he appoints beneath him. His unwillingness to relinquish 'total rule' over the club's administration has been the downfall of Tottenham and his presence is undoubtedly why players and managers are reluctant to come here. Match that with his objections to certain players that Nuno and Fabio are able to attract and whom they feel would be of huge benefit to the team and you have a recipe for disaster.

We now have an utterly pathetic Dele Alli, Winks is consigned to the reserves, Harry Kane shouldn't still be here and his mind certainly isn't. Dier, Sanchez, Doherty and Ndombele just aren't good enough for a team wanting to seriously challenge for major honours. Also unless we give Romero, Royal and Gil some serious playing time we are going to be left with three very talented but disillusioned substitutes.

In short you can point the finger at players, manager and DOF for this mess but at the end of the day they are all answerable to one person and that's Daniel. As I said before I have total respect for what he has done regarding the stadium and our financial standing following such a massive investment but it's not about bricks and mortar. It's about belief, passion and commitment towards making this club a top footballing side again and that's where he falls down badly. Until he can walk away from that aspect of things and back the people beneath him then we are doomed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Borodin said:

Following on from the discussions in the Arsenal match thread it's an interesting responsibility 'paper trail' that could be constructed. Let's start from the bottom :

Gutless performance form the players. Was that solely their fault or the inability of the manager to motivate them enough for a derby match ?

Team selection wrong / tactics wrong = down to the manager surely.

Squad not good enough = fault of DOF and Nuno or does Daniel Levy have too much influence in this area and should back off from such decisions ?

DOF not good enough ? = poor appointment by Levy

Manager not good enough = poor appointment by Levy and or Paratici

At the end of the day the chain of command has to go all the way back to the Chairman and the famous "The Buck Stops Here" sign must sit on DL's desktop.

He has been responsible for some extremely bad decisions and also a failure to place his trust in the abilities of the people he appoints beneath him. His unwillingness to relinquish 'total rule' over the club's administration has been the downfall of Tottenham and his presence is undoubtedly why players and managers are reluctant to come here. Match that with his objections to certain players that Nuno and Fabio are able to attract and whom they feel would be of huge benefit to the team and you have a recipe for disaster.

We now have an utterly pathetic Dele Alli, Winks is consigned to the reserves, Harry Kane shouldn't still be here and his mind certainly isn't. Dier, Sanchez, Doherty and Ndombele just aren't good enough for a team wanting to seriously challenge for major honours. Also unless we give Romero, Royal and Gil some serious playing time we are going to be left with three very talented but disillusioned substitutes.

In short you can point the finger at players, manager and DOF for this mess but at the end of the day they are all answerable to one person and that's Daniel. As I said before I have total respect for what he has done regarding the stadium and our financial standing following such a massive investment but it's not about bricks and mortar. It's about belief, passion and commitment towards making this club a top footballing side again and that's where he falls down badly. Until he can walk away from that aspect of things and back the people beneath him then we are doomed.

Well said.

I know we are only 6 games into the season and some will argue it is too early for such reasoning. I for one wouldn't agree with them. For months we have seen the activity that has been happening in the club. At first, some were encouraged to believe there was hope that this season just may bring a modicum of success to build on next season. Many managers get the boot after 4 heavy defeats, we our only 1 off!! 

It will upset all those on here who think there is too much negativity on here. What I would say to them is, if 60,000 fans at the home games can't get the results we need to avoid dismal failures, the 30 or so of us who actually post on here will certainly have no effect at all. Perhaps we are reaching the time to realistically assess our position rather than to cling to hope. 

COYS 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting article here on Daniel's managerial appointments / sackings :

https://lastwordonsports.com/football/2021/09/27/daniel-levys-managerial-appointments-a-mixture-of-progress-and-failure/

Full List

George Graham (1998-2001)  (Not appointed by Levy but sacked by him in 2001)

Glenn Hoddle (2001-03)

David Pleat (2003)

Jacques Santini (2004)

Martin Jol (2004-7)

Clive Allen & Alex Inglethorpe (2007)

Juande Ramos (2007-08)

Clive Allen & Alex Inglethorpe (2008)

Harry Redknapp (2008-12)

Andre Villas-Boas (2012-13)

Tim Sherwood (2013-14) 

Mauricio Pochettino (2014-19)

Jose Mourinho (2019 - 21)

Ryan Mason (2021)

Nuno Espirito Santo (2021 - ?)

 

Looking at this list reminds me of a great film : The Good The Bad And The Ugly. I'll leave you to decide who falls under which category.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In his time he’s made 2 good appointments and 1 half decent one. I’m shooting from the hip here so don’t hold it against me:

jol - half decent at the time and certainly helped steady ship at first

 

decent: redknapp and poch

both fitted the club desire to play decent football, both got the public in our side and improved the clubs image. Redknapp, yes he wanted the England job but when he never got it we shouldn’t have sacked him.

poch got our young squad playing as team and carried on the great work redknapp wasn’t allowed to finish few years earlier, yes his record against top 6 was not amazing but he overachieved with that squad and brought them up to a better level than they’ve achieved since. And for that, after a sticky 10 months in which we still made a cl final, he got shafted. 

im sorry but levy has really fucked up the football side these past 3 years. Didn’t realise what we had and should have backed poch not sacked him.

 

spurs will never be the big club they were, fair enough, but they seem to be a laughing stock at the moment with how levy has handled things. Don’t get me started on the euro super league disgrace.

what kid in their right mind would want to support spurs and their ‘spursy’ ways?!?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Defeat to either Villa or Newcastle will spell the end of Nuno I believe - it's not as if the defeats have been bad enough - the style of football has been dreadful with the Arsenal game the worst of all - the selections have been baffling and it's looking as though the players are not playing for him and cannot adapt to his system - whatever that may be - because nobody seems to know what they're doing.
Amongst the posts on here during the 60 day fast of no manager - it was stated many times that Conte would have had this lot pissing out straight and should have been paid whatever he wanted and with whatever staff he wanted as well!.
There would be no sentimental picking of Dele Alli , Winks , Dire or Sanchez - no playing a Centre Half in Tanganga at RB and Reggie would be playing for his place every week - this is not me playing Captain Hindsight - it's a cold look at what is happening on the field - Levy has to be honest and realise that we have to have someone of Conte's ilk - I did not fully realise how disjointed and dispirited this lot of players are - how long can Levy afford to let this rumble on and seeing fans empty the stadium early - he's a hard-nosed business man - he can see that the stadium will be half empty every home game if this garbage football is served up -and 30,000 times £60 a ticket at least will have him crying into his wallet - he must act now before the season turns into an even bigger disaster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, grahambailey said:

Defeat to either Villa or Newcastle will spell the end of Nuno I believe - it's not as if the defeats have been bad enough - the style of football has been dreadful with the Arsenal game the worst of all - the selections have been baffling and it's looking as though the players are not playing for him and cannot adapt to his system - whatever that may be - because nobody seems to know what they're doing.
Amongst the posts on here during the 60 day fast of no manager - it was stated many times that Conte would have had this lot pissing out straight and should have been paid whatever he wanted and with whatever staff he wanted as well!.
There would be no sentimental picking of Dele Alli , Winks , Dire or Sanchez - no playing a Centre Half in Tanganga at RB and Reggie would be playing for his place every week - this is not me playing Captain Hindsight - it's a cold look at what is happening on the field - Levy has to be honest and realise that we have to have someone of Conte's ilk - I did not fully realise how disjointed and dispirited this lot of players are - how long can Levy afford to let this rumble on and seeing fans empty the stadium early - he's a hard-nosed business man - he can see that the stadium will be half empty every home game if this garbage football is served up -and 30,000 times £60 a ticket at least will have him crying into his wallet - he must act now before the season turns into an even bigger disaster.

Top post mate, well said. :thumb:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, grahambailey said:

Defeat to either Villa or Newcastle will spell the end of Nuno I believe - it's not as if the defeats have been bad enough - the style of football has been dreadful with the Arsenal game the worst of all - the selections have been baffling and it's looking as though the players are not playing for him and cannot adapt to his system - whatever that may be - because nobody seems to know what they're doing.
Amongst the posts on here during the 60 day fast of no manager - it was stated many times that Conte would have had this lot pissing out straight and should have been paid whatever he wanted and with whatever staff he wanted as well!.
There would be no sentimental picking of Dele Alli , Winks , Dire or Sanchez - no playing a Centre Half in Tanganga at RB and Reggie would be playing for his place every week - this is not me playing Captain Hindsight - it's a cold look at what is happening on the field - Levy has to be honest and realise that we have to have someone of Conte's ilk - I did not fully realise how disjointed and dispirited this lot of players are - how long can Levy afford to let this rumble on and seeing fans empty the stadium early - he's a hard-nosed business man - he can see that the stadium will be half empty every home game if this garbage football is served up -and 30,000 times £60 a ticket at least will have him crying into his wallet - he must act now before the season turns into an even bigger disaster.

I think your post reflects the worries of many on here that Nuno has disappointed and is not giving us any real signs that he can put things right. It also highlights the fact that DL, ultimately, is the real key to getting the conditions right for the club to recover from the current situation it finds itself in. 

DL may make the club financially very profitable and one of the richest in Europe from American football, boxing, pop concerts etc. But if the football team are drifting along in 7th, 8th, 9th or 10th, for me as a THFC fan, DL wil have totally failed and he can stick his fantastic stadium up his arse. I support the football team and not a stadium and all the other functions it is used for. 

COYS 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/27/2021 at 7:13 PM, Dazza1976 said:

In his time he’s made 2 good appointments and 1 half decent one. I’m shooting from the hip here so don’t hold it against me:

jol - half decent at the time and certainly helped steady ship at first

 

decent: redknapp and poch

both fitted the club desire to play decent football, both got the public in our side and improved the clubs image. Redknapp, yes he wanted the England job but when he never got it we shouldn’t have sacked him.

poch got our young squad playing as team and carried on the great work redknapp wasn’t allowed to finish few years earlier, yes his record against top 6 was not amazing but he overachieved with that squad and brought them up to a better level than they’ve achieved since. And for that, after a sticky 10 months in which we still made a cl final, he got shafted. 

im sorry but levy has really fucked up the football side these past 3 years. Didn’t realise what we had and should have backed poch not sacked him.

 

spurs will never be the big club they were, fair enough, but they seem to be a laughing stock at the moment with how levy has handled things. Don’t get me started on the euro super league disgrace.

what kid in their right mind would want to support spurs and their ‘spursy’ ways?!?

Top post mate. Levys a pile of turd . He loses faith in his own decisions far too quickly as Jol Harry Poch and many others can testify to.

Instead of sacking them, look inwards and sort your own fucked up ugly wanker of yourself out you geriatric freak 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/30/2021 at 9:29 PM, Audere Est Facere said:

Top post mate. Levys a pile of turd . He loses faith in his own decisions far too quickly as Jol Harry Poch and many others can testify to.

Instead of sacking them, look inwards and sort your own fucked up ugly wanker of yourself out you geriatric freak 

Who would you like mr levy to appoint as chairman lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think to be SAFE, that person has to be mixed race, had his tackle surgically removed and dresses as a woman and is a refugee from a war torn Middle East Country. 

That should at least get the woke brigade off our backs as it covers race, gender and immigration. 

LOL

COYS 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jamesinashby said:

I think to be SAFE, that person has to be mixed race, had his tackle surgically removed and dresses as a woman and is a refugee from a war torn Middle East Country. 

That should at least get the woke brigade off our backs as it covers race, gender and immigration. 

LOL

COYS 

Aswell as being Jewish mate lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well back to mr levy ,,,,that’s the problem the club faces if mr levy stepped down ,,mr levy as the head honcho of enic would only appoint the person they wanted ,,,as there’s not many buyers lining up to purchase the club at the moment.

so I get why people want the change with mr levy ,,,but without someone buying enic out ,,,we would only have ( as everyone would say) a puppet of mr levy in charge,,,also mr levy holds 44 directorships,,,he must be well busy lol,,,,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mr8ball said:

Who would you like mr levy to appoint as chairman lol

he shouldnt have a choice if hes left the club , that would be my 'like'   whether he jumps (takes guts so he wont) or ends up being hounded out by fans etc (Spurs fans are spineless and pathetic as their 'meeting' about the ESL proved )   so maybe another dodgy helicopter trip will do the trick  i live in hope and I know that sounds horrible but hell he has done a lot of bad in the previous 3 years for Spurs,   

Staff on furlough  O  no erm i changed my mind here use WHL for NHS   (Such a two faced angel) 

ESL debacle  what a cock

clueless manager merry go round to the extent where nobody decent wants to come here now 

Spurs have gone from the club every expert loved to eulogise about and other supporters begrudgingly had to admit they were jealous of to being the same old tripe of no hopers , hell we not even pretenders any more 

Hell id happily hire the chopper 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×