Spurs Web
Borodin

Newcastle Takeover Completed

Newcastle United: Saudi Arabian-backed takeover completed

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58826899

Wonder if Bruce will still be in charge when we play them on 17th ? Would be his 1,000th game as a manager

Newcastle boss Steve Bruce fears he will be sacked after takeover

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/58838412

That's all we need when we are in this precarious situation fighting to return to being a top 4 team. 

They are a club with a large ground and fantastic support. Now it appears they can give their manager the players he wants. It makes them an attractive proposition. 

It is proving difficult enough in attracting a manager capable of making us a top European club. We don't want rivals giving the manager we are after having a choice!!! 

COYS 

3 hours ago, Jamesinashby said:

That's all we need when we are in this precarious situation fighting to return to being a top 4 team. 

They are a club with a large ground and fantastic support. Now it appears they can give their manager the players he wants. It makes them an attractive proposition. 

It is proving difficult enough in attracting a manager capable of making us a top European club. We don't want rivals giving the manager we are after having a choice!!! 

COYS 

They can certainly spend a fortune on the club infrastructure, stadium and academy etc but they are limited by the FFP (Financial Fair Play) regulations with regards to transfers. I am so pleased for the supporters just to see Ashley out of the club. I have many friends up that way and what they have had to put up with over the last fourteen years puts our troubles and woes in the shade. No investment whatsoever, stadium crumbling  around their ears and a squad in desperate need of fresh blood. Granted in his favour he has left Newcastle 'debt free' .

Mike Ashley bought the club in 2007 and paid £134m. Unfortunately for him he didn't bother to do any 'due diligence' enquiries and was apparently unaware that the club was £100m in debt. (Hardly the way a shrewd business man would operate - certainly not Daniel Levy).

This article makes fascinating reading about how he systematically destroyed the heart of Newcastle and it's die hard supporters with some bizarre appointments (Dennis Wise as DOF was one of the strangest) and decisions. I thoroughly recommend you have a read ...

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11678/12428214/newcastle-united-takeover-ten-moments-that-shaped-mike-ashleys-st-james-park-reign

So I wish them well in the rebuild of their club and when you think that the new owners are worth £320 billion then they certainly have no financial worries as regards how much it will cost to put Newcastle back on the map.

If I have to suffer the frustrations of what's happening at Tottenham on the pitch then I will certainly not let that stop me in wishing a football club steeped in tradition and supported through thick and thin by an army of devoted fans every success in restoring itself as a major team in the Premier league.

"Howay The Lads"

41 minutes ago, Borodin said:

If I have to suffer the frustrations of what's happening at Tottenham on the pitch then I will certainly not let that stop me in wishing a football club steeped in tradition and supported through thick and thin by an army of devoted fans every success in restoring itself as a major team in the Premier league.

You are right - it's a waste of time if you can, at the beginning of the season, pick the top 4 and be 99% sure you have got the right teams, if not necessarily in the right order.

We need a situation where 6,7 or 8 teams could all realistically finish top 4. Then the PL will be amazing.

Lots of players already being linked to the club following the takeover which was only to be expected.

Under Fair Play rules Newcastle would apparently have up to £190m to spend in January.

That should be at least enough to stave off relegation threats. :dd:

I can't see anything happening of significance in the near future apart from being able to pinch the players we want. 

As I keep repeating on here, for clubs attracting the world's best players, actually being in the top 4 to guarantee playing in the CL seems to be essential. Will top players risk playing for a club knowing it means waiting for a couple of seasons not being in the CL? The EPL has the current top 4 plus Leicester, Spurs, Arsenal, West Ham and Everton all fighting each other for a 4th spot in the hope one of the top 4 fails. Add to that, every season there will be the occasional club punching above it's weight - this year their are 2, Brighton and Brentford. The EPL is the toughest league in Europe for gaining a top 4 place. 

For me, I can see Newcastle becoming our biggest rival outside of the top 4 when it comes to buying the calibre of players needed to actually be a top 4 team. I think the long suffering Newcastle fans are going to discover the misery of being so close to being top 4 but just dipping out. Their one big advantage is they won't be a selling team. 

When the likes of Chelsea and City bought their way to the top, there was never several teams they were competing against them. 

They may just have joined Spurs World, but they are in for a shock at just how difficult it is to challenge for the top 4.

COYS 

24 minutes ago, Jamesinashby said:

I can't see anything happening of significance in the near future apart from being able to pinch the players we want. 

As I keep repeating on here, for clubs attracting the world's best players, actually being in the top 4 to guarantee playing in the CL seems to be essential. Will top players risk playing for a club knowing it means waiting for a couple of seasons not being in the CL? The EPL has the current top 4 plus Leicester, Spurs, Arsenal, West Ham and Everton all fighting each other for a 4th spot in the hope one of the top 4 fails. Add to that, every season there will be the occasional club punching above it's weight - this year their are 2, Brighton and Brentford. The EPL is the toughest league in Europe for gaining a top 4 place. 

For me, I can see Newcastle becoming our biggest rival outside of the top 4 when it comes to buying the calibre of players needed to actually be a top 4 team. I think the long suffering Newcastle fans are going to discover the misery of being so close to being top 4 but just dipping out. Their one big advantage is they won't be a selling team. 

When the likes of Chelsea and City bought their way to the top, there was never several teams they were competing against them. 

They may just have joined Spurs World, but they are in for a shock at just how difficult it is to challenge for the top 4.

COYS 

I agree that the danger is they are now shopping in the same stores as us with regard to player quality. They cannot yet reach out for the top tier footballers but the chance to join a club that is seemingly destined for bigger and better things must be tempting to the likes of the ones we are also in the market for. Daniel needs to offer a similar marketing strategy but having the advantage of our infrastructure already being in place as regards stadium and it now being simply a question of acquiring a squad to match the excellence of the ground.

We are a few years ahead of Newcastle concerning that aspect of things but Levy needs to show some ambition about winning titles and trophies.

I see the 19 EPL clubs are pushing to get the Newcastle take over stopped/rescinded. 

They don't really care about Saudi Arabia's human rights record. The just fear that Newcastle will be so rich they will become the dominant club. 

COYS 

Another thought on this. 

Joe Lewis is the real owner of the club through Enic. I can't recall him bending over backwards to find ways of increasing the club's income. He is a Londoner who, purportedly is a Spurs fan, but we rarely, if ever, see him at a game or taking an interest in helping us to win trophies. Is there no way he can put us on the same footing as Newcastle financially? He is having a whinge about the Harry Kane fiasco, but why didn't he step in and take control instead of watching from the sidelines. 

To me, it suggests Spurs is only one of his many cash cows making him one of the richest billionaires in the world. 

COYS 

17 minutes ago, Jamesinashby said:

Another thought on this. 

Joe Lewis is the real owner of the club through Enic. I can't recall him bending over backwards to find ways of increasing the club's income. He is a Londoner who, purportedly is a Spurs fan, but we rarely, if ever, see him at a game or taking an interest in helping us to win trophies. Is there no way he can put us on the same footing as Newcastle financially? He is having a whinge about the Harry Kane fiasco, but why didn't he step in and take control instead of watching from the sidelines. 

To me, it suggests Spurs is only one of his many cash cows making him one of the richest billionaires in the world. 

COYS 

His match attendance record is proof of how interested he is in us.

Lewis is the main investor in Tavistock Group, which owns more than 200 companies in 15 countries. Tavistock Group's portfolio includes:

Lake Nona Medical City

Life sciences

Sports teams: Tottenham Hotspur via ENIC Group. Formerly owned stakes in Glasgow Rangers F.C. and Slavia Prague.[4]

Sporting events: Tavistock Cup, Isleworth Collegiate Invitational  ( both golf competitions )

Manufacturing and distribution: Top Outlet and puma

Oil, gas and energy: BayCorp, Pampa Energia

Financial services

Restaurants: Freebirds World Burrito, Abe & Louie's, Mitchells & Butlers plc, Zed451

Commercial property: Tamar Capital, Bulgarian Property Development

Private luxury residential property: Isleworth Golf & Country Club, Lake Nona Golf & Country Club

Resort property: Albany, Harmony Cove, The St. Regis Atlanta, Pier Sixty-Six Hotel & Marina.

Note the interest in two golf clubs, that's the sport Joe loves and he counts Tiger Woods amongst his private circle of friends apparently. Spurs is just another 'investment'.

Harry Redknapp said this about Joe Lewis recently on Talksport :

“The club belongs to Joe Lewis, he’s the main shareholder. Joe doesn’t go to watch Tottenham play and not to appear disrespectful, he’s probably only half-interested in watching games.“It was an investment. When he bought Tottenham, he owned about three or four other clubs. He had Glasgow Rangers at one time, he had a team in Czechoslovakia and a team in Italy. It was an investment.