Former Tottenham Hotspur striker Darren Bent has backed Christian Eriksen to take his place in the starting line up for today’s match against Brighton.
Heung-min Son’s red card during the second half of the 2-0 defeat to Chelsea on Sunday will see the South Korean miss the next three matches starting with the visit of the Seagulls.
Eriksen has found himself mostly named among the substitutes following the arrival of new head coach Jose Mourinho (transfermarkt).
The Dane is out of contract at the end of the current campaign and has previously made his intentions clear that he wanted to seek a new challenge away from North London whilst inviting interest from Real Madrid (Ekstra Bladet).
Bent believes that it is time for Eriksen to stand up and rediscover his old form after that has been a disappointing 2019 by his standards in a Spurs shirt.
Spurs will be looking to return to winning ways after a poor display against Chelsea last time out.
Bent told Football Insider: “Yeah. Obviously, we’ve seen Toby sign his new contract and this might be the kick in the backside Eriksen needs.
“Mourinho’s openly said he wants Vertonghen and Eriksen to sign their new contracts. Now that Heung-min Son’s out, you’d like to think Eriksen can come in, make a really big impact, back to the Eriksen that we know, Mourinho can convince him to sign a new contract and stay.
“It is time for Eriksen to stand up and be counted, he’s got the ability to make sure he does that.”
Have something to tell us about this article?