- Tottenham have won four of their last five Premier League away games against Newcastle (L1) – one more than they’d won in their previous 19 trips to St James’ Park in the competition (W3 D5 L11).
- Newcastle have lost five of their last six opening games to a league season, drawing the other vs Southampton in 2015-16.
- Tottenham have scored in 25 of their last 26 Premier League games against Newcastle, failing only in a 0-1 home defeat in November 2013.
- The first three shots on target in this match all came in the opening 18 minutes and were all scored, while none of the following four were converted.
- Tottenham’s Dele Alli has scored in 33 different Premier League games and never ended on the losing side (W27 D6). Only James Milner (47) and Darius Vassell (46) have ever scored in more without losing.
- Tottenham defender Jan Vertonghen’s goal was his first in 161 Premier League games, since netting against Swansea in March 2013.
- Tottenham’s Harry Kane has never scored a Premier League goal in August, despite playing 14 games, 988 minutes and attempting 46 shots.
- Joselu also scored Newcastle’s opening Premier League goal in 2017-18 – he’s the first player to score the Magpies’ first goal in consecutive Premier League seasons.
Have something to tell us about this article?