• Spurs lost their first two Group B games, going down 2-1 at Inter before that 4-2 home loss to Barça, their heaviest home defeat in the UEFA Champions League and joint heaviest in Europe. A 2-2 draw at PSV Eindhoven extended their winless European run to five fixtures, before Wembley wins against PSV (2-1) and Inter (1-0).
• The Lilywhites have won just four of their last 17 European away matches (D6 L7).
• Third in last season’s Premier League, Tottenham are in the group stage for the fourth time – and the third season in a row.
• Spurs got to the round of 16 in 2017/18, losing to Juventus. Tottenham drew the away first leg 2-2 – having been 2-0 down – but went out after a 2-1 reverse at Wembley.
• Spanish champions for the 25th time – and third in four years – in 2017/18, Barcelona have been European champions on five occasions, most recently in 2015.
• Barcelona have now finished first in their UEFA Champions League group on a record 20 occasions – four times more than Real Madrid. If they avoid defeat against Tottenham it will be the 12th time they have gone through a group undefeated, also a competition record.
• Barça have now won their group in each of the last 12 seasons, and have reached at least the quarter-finals in the last 11 UEFA Champions League campaigns, both competition records. In 2017/18, they succumbed to a remarkable Roma fightback in the last eight, going out despite a 4-1 home first-leg victory after losing 3-0 in the Rome return.
Have something to tell us about this article?