Football Insider have revealed that those responsible for the relaunch of the European Super League, which Spurs were previously part of, expect the European Court of Justice to rule in their favour.
Tottenham, as well as the five other ‘big six’ clubs in the Premier League, were among the 12 teams across Europe who signed up for the Super League.
While nine of those clubs have subsequently pulled out, Barcelona, Real Madrid and Juventus continue to back the breakaway competition.
The new chief executive of the European Super League, Bernd Reichart told the Financial Times (via Football.London) back in September that he plans on having a dialogue with all the stakeholders to launch a new proposal for the competition.
Ahead of the hearing that is set to be held regarding the breakaway league in the European Court of Justice, the organisation’s advocate general, Athanasios Rantos, asked the clubs who tried to form the Super League to be penalised on Thursday.
However, A22 Sports Management, the firm established to supervise the relaunch of the Super League, have now said that they expect the European Union’s highest legal authority to allow clubs to “manage their own destiny”.
MORE SPURS STORIES
A22’s CEO Bernd Reichart told Football Insider: “The opinion of the Advocate General is one step in an ongoing case, and we are pleased with the recognition of the right of third parties to organise pan-European club competitions.
“The Advocate General made clear that UEFA has a monopolistic position which comes with important responsibilities for enabling third parties to act freely in the market.
“However, we believe the 15 judges of the Grand Chamber who are entrusted with the responsibility to examine this case, will go substantially further and provide the opportunity for clubs to manage their own destiny in Europe.”
Spurs Web Opinion
Even if the ruling is in the favour of the three aforementioned clubs and UEFA does not penalise them, their ambitions of forming a Super League is still not going to materialise unless the Premier League clubs opt-in, which I cannot see happening on the back of the fan backlash two years ago.