Alasdair Gold has revealed that his sources at Tottenham are ‘shooting down’ suggestions the club might go after Leicester City midfielder James Maddison.
Over recent days, it has emerged that Newcastle United have launched a second offer in excess of £45m for Maddison (Luke Edwards) after their opening bid of around £40m was turned down by the Foxes last week (Dharmesh Sheth).
Tottenham were credited with an interest in the 25-year-old earlier this summer (GiveMeSport) and journalist Dean Jones said on The Football Terrace YouTube Channel this week that the England international would prefer a switch to Spurs over Newcastle.
The Daily Mail’s Craig Hope predicted on Tuesday that Brendan Rodgers’ men would be willing to cash in on Maddison this summer for around £50m.
However, Gold has now remarked that when he enquired about Maddison to his contacts at Tottenham during his time in Israel, all of them ruled out a move for the Leicester star.
The journalist said on his YouTube channel: “There’s the James Maddison stuff but Spurs are still shooting down any links to him, even in Israel, Tom (Barclay) and I were asking our various contracts around the club about him, and everything was coming back as a ‘no’ and that’s interesting as you see Newcastle are trying to get him.”
Spurs Web Opinion
There has not been any indication from any reliable publications this summer that Tottenham hold a serious interest in Maddison. The rumour seems to be persisting purely because some Spurs fans are elevating hope into expectation.
On the other hand, it is pretty clear that Nicolo Zaniolo is a player that Tottenham hold a concrete interest in. I would expect the club to launch an offer for the 23-year-old to test Roma’s resolve in the coming days or weeks.
Have something to tell us about this article?