Antonio Conte praises the work that four of his players are doing out of possession

0
Antonio Conte
Chris Brunskill/Fantasista/Getty Images

Antonio Conte has praised the work that his forwards are putting in out of possession in order to help the team defensively.

There has been a lot made out of Tottenham’s defensive improvements since Conte arrived at the club at the start of November but the Lilywhites are also creating more opportunities going forward under the Italian.

Lucas Moura has been in exceptional form while Son Heung-min has continued delivering an impressive attacking output but perhaps what Conte will be most pleased about is the fact that Harry Kane has found his scoring boots again.

The Spurs head coach has now praised the work that the three forwards are putting in off the ball, and admitted that Steven Bergwijn is also getting used to the demands of his system.

When asked about Tottenham’s forwards, Conte told Football.London: “I think in front we have three strikers, three important strikers. Son, Harry and Lucas and then also Steven Bergwijn is improving day by day. Also, he’s showing me that he can be a good option.

“I think it is very important to continue to improve this link with these three players, to exploit at their best characteristics. We know very well that in front we are very good and for this reason we need to exploit the situation, where you have important players.

“I’m happy that these three, four players that we have in front, they are totally involved offensively but above all defensively, and this is good because we are a team.

“The rest of the team I think has a great appreciation of the efforts of the strikers without the ball. That’s why when we have the ball we have to create situations to exploit them.”

Several Premier League fixtures have been postponed this month due to the outbreak of Covid-19 across various top-flight clubs.

Tottenham themselves were hit with an outbreak in their camp earlier this month and have seen multiple games being called off.

The Lilywhites had to wait until a few hours before kick-off before they received confirmation that their clash against Crystal Palace on Sunday would be going ahead.

Conte admitted that he sympathises with the plight of other coaches who have to prepare for games without knowing which of their players would be available.

Speaking about the Covid situation across the Premier League, the 52-year-old said: “Yeah, but it happened when we were having the problems two weeks ago. When I said that we were having training sessions, I was preparing for the game and then at the end of the training session, you can have a positive player in your team.

“This is a big mess because you can prepare with a player that the next day you can’t, but especially your players that are positive can infect the other players.

“But I think now we’re doing very well because before the training session there is a rapid test and then the other test you have the result the day after.

“I think this is a good solution because you know with the rapid test. It’s not 100 per cent but there’s a good percentage of reality in this test no?”

Spurs Web Opinion

Spurs are blessed to have Kane and Son as not only are they both world-class forwards but they are both team players.

They are thus perfect for Conte as the Italian can trust them to perform their roles out of possession.

Some of the other world-class forwards in world football can be quite selfish and conserve their energy to have the most impact in the final third.

Have something to tell us about this article?

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.