Argentina manager Lionel Scaloni has made it clear that Cristian Romero and Giovani Lo Celso will not be released early from the international break under any circumstances.
Lo Celso and Romero have flown to South America to join the Argentine squad while Davinson Sanchez and Emerson Royal have been called up to the Colombia and Brazil squads respectively for their upcoming World Cup qualifiers.
It was reported earlier in the week that Spurs were hoping their South American stars would be released before their third match so they could serve their quarantine and play in the Premier League game against Newcastle United on October 17th.
However, The Evening Standard’s Dan Kilpatrick revealed on Wednesday that Spurs were ‘losing the battle’ to convince Brazil, Argentine and Colombia to release their players before their third World Cup qualifier.
The journalist revealed that the four players were thus ‘big doubts’ to be available for the Newcastle clash.
Scaloni has now confirmed that Lo Celso and Romero will be with the squad for all three of their clashes against Paraguay, Uruguay and Peru.
He told TyC Sports: “Before the game with Venezuela I said that they came to play all three games, but then problems arose and I released them (during the last international break).
“In this case, it’s totally different. They’re about to play all three games and under no circumstances will they leave earlier.”
Spurs Web Opinion
With Spurs playing Newcastle on the 17th, it looks likely that the four players will miss the trip to St James’ Park if they are involved in the World Cup qualifier on the 14th.
That would be a real shame considering both Romero and Emerson put in their best performance yet this season against Villa and could have done with a run of starts under their belt.
Have something to tell us about this article?