Amidst reports linking Atletico Madrid with a move for Emerson Royal, the La Liga club’s president Enrique Cerezo has admitted that the club are prioritising signing a right-back this summer.
Sky Sports News were the first to report earlier this month that Atletico had a long-term interest in Emerson.
Tuttomercatoweb claimed this week that the Brazilian is Los Colchoneros’ number one right-back target this summer, with the club said to be keen on signing the player on an initial loan deal with an option to buy him.
Football Insider even claimed on Wednesday that Diego Simeone’s men had already launched an offer for Emerson, with Spurs said to be demanding a fee over £20m for the former Real Betis star.
Curiously, however, the 23-year-old’s agent Dr Fabiano de Abreu said this week that Antonio Conte considers Emerson to be a key part of his plans and that Tottenham will not sell his client even if they receive an offer of £34.4m (Lance).
Cerezo has now confirmed that Atletico will sign a right-back before the transfer window slams shut.
He told AS: “Well, we already have the midfielder. It’s Witsel, which as you all know is practically don. And we’re looking for (a reinforcement on the right) flank.
“As far as I know, we need a midfielder and a right-back and we already have the midfielder. As for the rest, I can tell you that everything is the same as it was a year ago.”
Spurs Web Opinion
The reports coming out in the British press regarding Emerson have been quite mixed over the last 48 hours.
However, despite his agent’s statement, I would expect the right-back to be sold within the next couple of weeks.
Spurs will have a hard time getting a decent fee for him as not a lot of La Liga clubs, including Atletico, have much money to throw around this summer.
Have something to tell us about this article?