Napoli’s owner and chairman Aurelio De Laurentiis has admitted that he approached rumoured Tottenham target Luis Enrique but the Spaniard has his heart set on a move to the Premier League.
After Arne Slot decided to remain at Feyenoord last week, some outlets suggested that Enrique is one of the options that Tottenham could turn to. One of those were The Independent, which claimed on Friday that Daniel Levy ‘greatly values’ the former Barcelona boss.
It was subsequently suggested by Le Parisien that the 53-year-old was also on Paris Saint-Germain’s radar while it has emerged over recent days that Napoli have also identified him as the man to replace Luciano Spalletti in charge.
In fact, Relevo reporter Matteo Moretto claimed last week that the Serie A club had already contacted Enrique about the job, with the former Spain boss said to be ‘attracted’ by the project at the Diego Armando Maradona Stadium.
However, in an apparent boost to Spurs, De Laurentiis has now indicated that Enrique considers the Premier League to be a more attractive destination.
When asked about Napoli’s move for the former Barcelona boss, the Italian club’s chairman told Rai Sport (via Fabrizio Romano): “For sure, Luis is a top coach. We discussed but I can tell you that he has Premier League clubs in mind. I said that he won’t find the same food or places there… but Premier League is more attractive.”
Spurs Web Opinion
Luis Enrique is unlikely to consider approaches from the likes of West Ham or Crystal Palace. So, the Spaniard is likely waiting for Spurs to make a decision and seemingly believes that he stands a decent chance of getting the job.
This also punctures the narrative that is being pushed that the Tottenham job is not attractive to top managers. The Premier League is the place to be for top coaches and most would love the challenge of getting Spurs back where they were a few years ago.
Have something to tell us about this article?