Jose Mourinho has labelled the potential of postponing three Tottenham games in quick succession ‘completely impossible’ after the upcoming Aston Villa has been thrown into doubt.
Villa released a statement earlier this week revealing that a significant number of first-team players and members of staff had tested positive for COVID-19. The club had therefore taken the decision to shut down their training ground for the time being.
Liverpool take on Aston Villa in the FA Cup this evening and some reports have revealed that the COVID-stricken club plan to field a team of youngsters from the academy.
Tottenham have already had one Premier League fixture rescheduled over the past two weeks, as the game against Fulham was called off at the last minute.
Spurs also qualified for the Carabao Cup Final this week, an event that is usually held in February but has been postponed until April 25.
Mourinho has now hit out at the idea of Spurs having three rescheduled matches, claiming that they will refuse to play two-midweek games in the same week.
He said (Alasdair Gold): “We thought we might be having to play a game if we had only 14 players available from whole squad, including academy. We were prepared for that. We had positive cases. We cannot deny. Players, coaches, other staff. We have had problems.”
Dan Kilpatrick also reported that Mourinho had labelled the situation ‘completely impossible’, while calling for the governing bodies to ‘show some leadership’ and not to punish Tottenham.
#thfc Mourinho admits he has discussed hypotheticals with his coaching staff but says: “It is not for me to find solutions.” Reiterates that Spurs will refuse to play two midweek matches again.
— Dan Kilpatrick (@Dan_KP) January 8, 2021
Have something to tell us about this article?