Fabrizio Romano has revealed that Everton are expected to make another attempt to tie down Jordan Pickford to a new contract amidst interest from the likes of Tottenham.

Plenty of reports over the last few weeks have linked Pickford with a move to Spurs, with the latest of those coming from The Daily Mail on Sunday.

Everton

(Photo by Visionhaus)

The publication claimed that, on the back of Hugo Lloris making yet another error in the North London derby, Spurs are expected to accelerate their search for the Frenchman’s replacement.

The report added that the Lilywhties want to sign a goalkeeper who is good with the ball at his feet, with Pickford being one of the names on the club’s wishlist.

The Sun had claimed last week that the England number one’s contract talks with Everton had hit a deadlock and that both Spurs and Manchester United were willing to offer him almost double the salary that the Toffees are.

However, Romano has now stated that the Merseyside club have not given up hope of tying the goalkeeper down to a new deal.

When asked if top Premier League clubs could swoop for Pickford, the journalist told GiveMeSport: “I would not be surprised, honestly, because at the moment, there is still no agreement with Everton to extend the contract.

“What I am told is that Everton want to try again in the second part of the season to extend this contract to give him what he wants.”

Spurs Web Opinion

Given the situation that Everton find themselves in at this moment, Pickford will probably not be in a hurry to sign a new contract even if the Toffees were willing to go above and beyond his salary demands.

Even if the 28-year-old does agree to a new deal, one would think that his representatives would insist on a relegation clause, with Frank Lampard’s men looking set for another battle to avoid the drop.

Have something to tell us about this article?

Keep up to date with all the latest Tottenham news and opinion by following SpursWeb’s Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts.