Amid reports linking Tottenham with a move for Antonio Rudiger, Fabrizio Romano has revealed that Chelsea are still in talks over extending the centre-back’s contract but have been unsuccessful so far.
If reports are to be believed, Rudiger has been a long-term target for Spurs, with the North London club’s last-ditch attempt to sign the defender in the summer of 2020 proving to be unsuccessful.
Tottenham allegedly made a loan offer for the German at the time but it was said that he was not keen on making a temporary move to North London.
Rudiger became a key player for the Blues after Thomas Tuchel replaced Frank Lampard midway through last season but he is yet to put pen to paper on a new contract with the club, with his current deal expiring at the end of the season.
Sky Sports claimed earlier this month that Rudiger could receive as many as six offers during the January transfer window from various European clubs.
Italian journalist Gianluca Di Marzio claimed a few days ago that Spurs were one of the clubs who were in talks with the centre-back over a potential transfer.
Romano has now revealed that Chelsea have still not been able to reach an agreement with Rudiger, also adding what Tuchel has said about the defender.
Here’s what the Italian tweeted about the Chelsea star:
Chelsea manager Thomas Tuchel: “Toni Rüdiger has established himself exceptionally since the first day we arrived. He is an absolute leader and plays at an incredibly high level”. 🔵 #CFC
Chelsea are still in talks to extend his contract, he wants to stay but no agreement yet.
— Fabrizio Romano (@FabrizioRomano) October 25, 2021
Spurs Web Opinion
Despite the fact that the rumours linking Rudiger with a move to Spurs are not going away, I do not think the transfer has any chance of going through.
The 28-year-old will likely have many options to choose from and I doubt he would want to risk ruining his Chelsea legacy by moving to Tottenham.
Have something to tell us about this article?