Former Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp, has admitted that he is surprised that neither the Lilywhites nor their London rivals Arsenal or Chelsea snapped up Manchester City defender John Stones this summer.
According to multiple reports (The Athletic and Evening Standard), Jose Mourinho is rather pleased with the transfer business the club have been able to do. However, it is said the Portuguese coach also hoped to add one more central defender to his squad.
Swansea City’s Joe Rodon is now rumoured to be Tottenham’s number one centre-back target, with Premier League clubs allowed to make signings from the EFL until October 16 (Football.London).
Stones was one of the centre-backs Spurs were said to be previously looking at, with David Ornstein claiming that the club explored the possibility of signing the Man City man on loan but that the finances of the deal proved problematic.
Redknapp believes that the 26-year-old could have been a big asset for the likes of Spurs if he could regain his confidence.
He told Sky Sports News (11:08pm, October 5, 2020): “I am surprised someone didn’t take him, you know, John Stones.
“I am a big fan of his. I know people got on his case a little bit. I thought maybe a Chelsea or someone like that might have gone in for John Stones.
“I think he is a real player. I think someone got hold of him, got a bit of belief back into him, he has got all the tools.
“I like him personally. I thought someone like Arsenal, Chelsea, whoever, Tottenham.”
Spurs Web Opinion
I would have certainly preferred Stones over Rudiger as I agree with Redknapp that he can be a top defender in the right system. He does not get enough protection in Man City’s system and is often left exposed by their midfield. There is reason to believe he could have been a better player for us. However, the 26-year-old has also shown that he can be error-prone and he is certainly a far cry from Skriniar, who was rumoured to be Mourinho’s number one target.
Have something to tell us about this article?