Inter Milan boss Antonio Conte has hinted that Christian Eriksen could work his way back into his plans and hoped that the midfielder could build on his recent performance against Fiorentina.
There has been plenty of speculation on Eriksen’s future for the past few weeks, with Inter CEO Giuseppe Marotta admitting last month that the Serie A giants could look to move on the former Tottenham man on.
The 28-year-old has been linked with a shock return to Spurs, with reports claiming that Jose Mourinho wants to take him back to North London (Gazzetta dello Sport).
Arsenal and Paris Saint-Germain have also been mooted as potential destinations for the Dane in the January transfer window (CalcioMercato).
However, no move has materialised so far and Eriksen was handed a rare start by Conte in Inter’s Copa Italia clash on Wednesday night.
Eriksen started in a deep-lying playmaker role and excelled as the Nerrazuri overcame Fiorentina 2-1 in extra time.
Conte admitted that he was hopeful the performance can give Eriksen the confidence to push on.
The former Chelsea boss said after the game (via Sempre Inter): “I have always said, we must be good at exploiting all our potential, the coach must be good at doing it and not leaving any stone unturned.
“Christian is a positive guy, he has trained all week and I played him in a role where we do not have much cover.
“I tried playing Nicolo Barella there but he is not a regista, he is more of an attacking player.
“We try to involve Eriksen in everything we do, then obviously I have to make choices.
“I hope that this match can also let him believe more in himself.”
Spurs Web Opinion
I believe that Inter would have sold Eriksen had they received a suitable offer for him. I suspect it is the midfielder’s high wages that is putting clubs off and so he might have to take a pay cut if he is to leave the San Siro before the end of the month.
Have something to tell us about this article?