Fabrizio Romano has said that Reims head coach Will Still is not in contention to replace Antonio Conte at Tottenham.
According to reports over the last week, Julian Nagelsmann is now Tottenham’s top managerial target, with Daniel Levy alleged to have met the German in London recently to discuss the vacancy (CaughtOffside).
The Independent reported a few days ago that the Tottenham chairman will try hard to persuade the 35-year-old, failing which he will turn his attention to Feyenoord boss Arne Slot.
There have also been some suggestions recently that the North London club are considering a surprise move for Still, who has won several admirers since taking over as Reims’ head coach in October of last year.
The Daily Mail reported on April 20 that Tottenham had contacted the 30-year-old, who was born in Belgium to English parents, about potentially replacing Antonio Conte.
However, Romano has now ruled Still out of the running for the Spurs job, suggesting that he does not fit the profile of manager that the Lilywhites are after.
When asked about the speculation linking the Reims boss to Tottenham, the journalist said on the Here We Go Podcast: “I don’t know who put that into the media, but I’m not aware of that honestly.
“I think Tottenham will go for a different kind of manager.
“With all due respect he’s doing an excellent job in France, but I think they will go for a different manager, it will not be him from what I understand.”
Spurs Web Opinion
While Still is a promising young coach, it would be a huge gamble to appoint him, given his lack of experience at the top level.
The 30-year-old needs to prove his mettle for another year or two before he can be seen as a contender for elite jobs around Europe.
Have something to tell us about this article?