Tottenham Hotspur’s hopes of securing the return of Mauricio Pochettino have taken a significant blow according to TyC Sports journalist Cesar Luis Merlo.
Pochettino has been heavily linked with the vacant head coach position at Tottenham with The Sun reporting earlier this week that the 49-year-old was keen to return to his former employer after falling out with Paris Saint-Germain sporting director Leonardo.
Merlo has claimed that sources close to Pochettino have told him that despite interest from both Tottenham and Real Madrid, he will remain at PSG.
Europe1 journalist Julien Froment took to Twitter yesterday to reveal that PSG have trigged the one-year extension in Pochettino’s contract which will keep him at the French capital until June 2023.
— César Luis Merlo (@CLMerlo) May 30, 2021
The Pochettino rumour mill is now starting to get somewhat out of control with contrasting reports, Goal claimed yesterday that he had told PSG that he wants to leave this summer.
If the one-year extension is to be believed, we have also seen it happen with another rumoured candidate in Erik ten Hag, who also signed for a further twelve months with Ajax.
Have something to tell us about this article?