Italian journalist Ciro Venerato has said that despite Tottenham holding an interest in Napoli goalkeeper Alex Meret, he expects the Italian to remain at the Serie A club next season.
Multiple publications have reported over the last couple of months that Spurs are expected to sign a successor to Hugo Lloris at the end of this season.
The likes of Valencia’s Giorgi Mamardashvili, Brentford’s David Raya, Brighton’s Robert Sanchez and AC Milan’s Mike Maignan are thought to be at the top of the Lilywhites’ wishlist (Football.London).
Some Italian outlets have suggested over recent weeks that Meret is also on the North London club’s radar, with NapoliCalcioLive even claiming on April 11 that the Premier League club have identified the 26-year-old as their top target.
It was reported by La Repubblica (via Area Napoli) two weeks ago that Spurs had already reached out to the Napoli shot-stopper regarding a summer transfer.
Venerato has now revealed that Luciano Spalletti’s men have identified Empoli’s Guglielmo Vicario as a replacement for Meret amidst Tottenham’s interest in their number one but the journalist added that the Italy international is likely to remain in Naples.
He told 1 Station Radio (as relayed by Area Napoli): “Do Napoli monitor any goalkeepers, even to replace Alex Meret? Yes, even if the club hopes the Friulian will remain.
“There is an interest, especially in recent months, from Tottenham in the Azzurri goalkeeper,”
“For this reason, the Neapolitan club has followed Vicario, who is on Inter’s list, also thanks to the possible sale of Onana.
“My opinion, however, is that the goalkeeper for Napoli next season will be Alex Meret.”
Spurs Web Opinion
All the speculation linking Meret with a move to Spurs seems to be coming from Italy.
None of the journalists with sources high up at Spurs such as Alasdair Gold or Dan Kilpatrick have suggested that the 26-year-old is one of the names on the North London club’s wishlist to take over the gloves from Lloris.
Have something to tell us about this article?