Journalist Dean Jones has said that while he expects Japhet Tanganga to leave Tottenham in January, Bryan Gil could become an important player for Antonio Conte.

The Evening Standard reported on Tuesday that Spurs are set to back Conte once again in January, with the Italian keen on making reinforcements to the squad.

Bryan Gil

(Photo by James Williamson – AMA/Getty Images)

The report explained that the North London club are willing to loan out Bryan Gil, Japhet Tanganga, and Pape Sarr, and that the Spurs head coach wants direct replacements for all three players.

The Times subsequently backed up that claim, stating that Gil and Tanganga are ‘unwanted’ by Conte.

However, the Spaniard has since shown some glimpses of his quality after coming off the bench in Tottenham’s 1-1 draw against Sporting Lisbon, their 3-2 win over Bournemouth, and the 2-1 victory over Marseille. 

Conte said last week that he believes in the 21-year-old and even suggested the winger could evolve into a player similar to Man City star Bernardo Silva (Football London).

Jones has remarked that Gil could potentially turn around his Tottenham career over the coming months.

When asked about the speculation linking Tanganga and Gil with a move away from the club in January, the journalist told GiveMeSport: “Tanganga we’ve talked about for a while, and I think that’s probably real.

“But with Gil, I think that it’s still a possibility for him to turn things around. I mean, when he’s come on recently, he seems to have made a positive impact.”

Spurs Web Opinion

I have been surprised by how unwilling Conte has been to give opportunities to Tanganga since he arrived at the club. I see the 23-year-old as a natural fit for the right centre-back role in a back three. 

I would certainly rather see him play over Davinson Sanchez, who is simply not good enough on the ball to play in this system.

Have something to tell us about this article?