Dutch journalist Mike Verweij has backed Ajax to reignite their interest in Steven Bergwijn this summer but only after they confirm Alfred Schreuder as their next manager.
Bergwijn has struggled for game time since Antonio Conte arrived at Tottenham six months ago, despite impressing when the occasional opportunities have come his way.
Conte admitted after Spurs’ win over Leicester on Sunday that the former PSV Eindhoven man has not been handed as many minutes as he deserves due to the quality of the other forwards at his disposal (Football.London).
The 24-year-old told Dutch publication AD last week that he does not see himself at Tottenham next season and would be open to returning to the Eredivisie.
The Times reported recently that despite seeing their £18m offer for Bergwijn rebuffed by Spurs in January, Ajax have indicated to the North London club that they plan on trying to sign the winger again this summer.
Verweij has now claimed that the ‘door has never been closed’ for Bergwijn to complete a move to the Johan Cruyff Arena but he insisted that Ajax would first have to confirm a replacement for Manchester United bound Erik Ten Hag.
The journalist said on De Telegraaf’s Kick-Off podcast: “That door (Bergwijn to Ajax) has never been closed. There was talk last winter and since, there has always been a little feeling with him.
“First, Ajax will have to determine that Alfred Schreuder will be the new manager, and only then will there be a discussion about filling in the position.”
Spurs Web Opinion
Bergwijn looks nailed on to leave Tottenham this summer, with the only question being where he will end up. I believe that the 24-year-old is too good for the Eredivisie but a return to Holland might be tempting for him, with the World Cup coming up in November.
Have something to tell us about this article?