Tottenham Hotspur’s 6-1 thrashing of Manchester United a week last Sunday compounded what was already a bad start to the season for the Red Devils, and pressure has seemingly been mounting on Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.
The Daily Mirror claims that Mauricio Pochettino is on the radar of both Manchester United and Manchester City, while The Sun revealed that the former Spurs boss is prepared to wait patiently for his next tole.
In the latest episode of The Transfer Window Podcast, Duncan Castles has shed light on how close Solskjaer is to getting the sack.
The journalist reveals that the Norwegian is losing the dressing room, with many of the squad harbouring doubts if he is the man to take the team to the next level.
Bruno Fernandes reportedly questioned his manager’s tactics during half-time against Spurs, which is said to be one of the reasons the midfielder was taken off.
Castles makes it clear that Pochettino is the man which United will go for should they part ways with Solskjaer but he reveals that the 48-year-old has previously turned down the job.
In 2016, Pochettino was the man the Red Devils wanted as Louis Van Gaal’s replacement but the former Tottenham boss decided to stay in North London since he felt he would be risking too much by going to Old Trafford at that stage of his career.
Additionally, the former Spurs manager is also said to have wanted control over transfers, which he was doubtful if he would get at United.
Spurs Web Opinion
While one can understand why Pochettino would have rejected Manchester Untied’s approach in 2016, he will likely jump at the opportunity if offered the job now since he has been out of work for almost a year. Given the difficult run of fixtures that United have coming up, I do not expect Solskjaer to last for more than a few more weeks. I am desperately hoping that he would pull some results out of the bag as I can see Pochettino making them title contenders by next season.
Have something to tell us about this article?