Spanish journalist Guillem Balague has revealed that rumoured Tottenham Hotspur target Diego Carlos is set to stay at Sevilla beyond the end of the January transfer window.
Despite being yet to make a single signing yet this window, Spurs reportedly remain confident of bringing at least two new players in before the end of the month (Football.London).
The Daily Mail reported last week that one of the names on Tottenham’s radar was Carlos, who was also said to be attracting interest from Newcastle United and AC Milan.
Fabrizio Romano then claimed on Friday that it was the Magpies who were leading the race for the centre-back’s signature after already having agreed on personal terms with the Brazilian.
However, the journalist revealed that Sevilla were trying to hang on to the 28-year-old amidst Newcastle’s onslaught.
Balague has now reported something quite similar, explaining that Newcastle are the only Premier League club to have made an offer for Carlos.
The journalist said on his YouTube Channel: “The long story and long saga of Diego Carlos. A few weeks ago, Newcastle put an offer of €30 million (£25m).
“They haven’t come back. Sevilla said ‘no’ to that. And his buy-out clause is €85 million (£71m), so they want almost double that.
“At the moment, Newcastle aren’t willing to pay. They pay three times more his wages, but as it stands, the player will stay. And there has been no offer from any other English club.”
Spurs Web Opinion
I do not expect Spurs to bring in a centre-back before the end of the month. Apart from the Traore deal (which I expect to go through), a central midfielder will likely be Conte’s priority, given that Dele Alli (Football Insider) and Ndombele (Guardian) look on the verge of leaving.
Have something to tell us about this article?