It seems as if Spurs are going through one continuous frustrating cycle at the moment in the Premier League and I can’t help but think there are better ways of doing things.
Here are my ten thoughts that I can’t get out of my head this week:
- It seems as if Spurs found a winning formula with a back four and two holding mids, with slight adjustments depending on the opponent. Not sure where the back five has suddenly come from because I have only ever seen it fail miserably.
- Toby and Sissoko were a huge part of our early season success, then were suddenly dropped out of nowhere. They may not be flashy and they may be getting on a bit, but they are solid and rarely sink when things get tough. Give them consistent minutes again. For me, Toby and Rodon, Hojbjerg and Sissoko are a must. It’s the general approach that needs to change.
- I never had a problem with Mourinho football when I understood where we were going. A solid bank of four, two holding mids, and the consistent ability to counter. That has vanished with a back five and I really don’t understand the game plan anymore.
- I also got it when Mourinho called out people like Tanguy to get the best out of them. However, he always offered them a route back in. So what has happened with Dele? Where are his chances?
- Mourinho is a hard man to please. It worries me when he claims he was happy with the second half against Brighton. Yes, it was an improvement from the first half, but Springwatch would have been more exciting than that 45 minutes of football. Is that really our standard now?
- Carlos Vinicius was brought in to be a Harry Kane backup, so let him be a backup! He looked decent in the last two games as some kind of focal point to the attack. Give the other attackers something to play off and let them push up the pitch.
- Gareth Bale is a nostalgic project that we all want to work. But I think Mourinho should be bringing him off the bench for 20 minutes consistently to get his confidence and fitness up before starting him in the Premier League. He goes from nothing to a start, then nothing again.
- Tanguy Ndombele is wasted in a midfield two when we play a back five because we don’t get up the pitch enough. Play him at number 10 UNLESS the plan is to actually dominate possession. Otherwise, what is the point?
- Now, more than ever, we need to be more ambitious with our play. I get defending deep against the likes of Man City. But doing the same against relegation battlers just builds up their confidence and gives them a chance. We should be suffocating them from minute one.
- With all of the above said and done, I want to see this team rolled out most weeks when possible: Lloris; Aurier, Rodon, Alderweireld, Reguilon; Sissoko, Hojbjerg; Ndombele; Son, Kane, Bergwijn.
Have something to tell us about this article?