Tottenham Hotspur fans can breathe a sigh of relief after Anton Ferdinand was told by Steve Bruce that he still has a future at Sunderland.
The former West Ham United defender was linked with a move to White Hart Lane during the summer transfer window, and recent speculation had suggested that Harry Redknapp could make another approach in January.
Ferdinand, 24, had been a regular in the Black Cats side until his error in the 3-1 defeat to Burnley.
“I left Anton out on Sunday (against Wolves) but he will be back at some point, don’t worry about that,” Bruce told the Sunderland Echo.
“It’s a really good thing to have competition for places and players looking over their shoulders, knowing they can’t afford to make mistakes because there’s someone else there waiting to take their place.
“It’s what you want as a manager.”
He added: “Anton started out his career as a right-back at West Ham, so I know he can play there and it’s a position that I have no qualms playing him in in the future.”
Would you want Anton Ferdinand at Spurs?
Have something to tell us about this article?