Pundit claims Tottenham star should only ever be subbed on for the last 30 minutes

Robbie Earle has said that Rodrigo Bentancur should not be starting games for Tottenham Hotspur, insisting that the Uruguayan lacks the athleticism needed in the middle of the park.

Bentancur had a spectacular start to his Tottenham career after his move £22m switch from Juventus in January of 2022.

In fact, the midfielder was arguably Spurs’ best player last season alongside Harry Kane last season until he suffered an ACL injury back in February of last year.

That injury and the subsequent ankle injury he picked up meant that he has missed nearly a full year of football and the Uruguayan has not quite managed to hit his pre-injury levels of form since his return.

Ange Postecoglou has continued persisting with the 26-year-old, having used him as a number eight as well as a number six over the last few months.

The former Juve star started alongside Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg in the North London Derby on Sunday but was replaced by Pape Matar Sarr at the interval.

Rodrigo Bentancur
Credit: @shooting.practice on Instagram

Should Bentancur be starting for Tottenham?

Following Tottenham’s 3-2 loss Earle said on The Two Robbies Podcast: “I was surprised with Bentancur and Hojbjerg as a midfield two, they lacked athleticism in those areas. For me, Bentancur is a lovely footballer, but he is someone for after 60 or 65 minutes, he shouldn’t be starting games for me.”

Spurs Web Opinion

While Bentancur has not returned to his best after his ACL injury, that is not wholly surprising, considering the amount of time he was sidelined for. When the Uruguayan is at 100 per cent, there is certainly nothing wrong with his athleticism as he is extremely sharp and boasts of a fantastic engine.

Keep up to date with all the latest Tottenham news and opinion by following SpursWeb’s Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts.

Related Topics

Have something to tell us about this article? Let us know