RB Leipzig boss Jesse Marsch has admitted that Marcel Sabitzer, who has been heavily linked with a move to Tottenham over the last few months, could leave the Bundesliga club before the transfer window shuts.
Sabitzer was first mooted as a target for Spurs ahead of the January transfer window but the move did not materialise.
The Austrian is now into the final 12 months of his contract at the Red Bull Arena and a few reliable sources have backed the North London club to make a move for the versatile midfielder this summer.
However, the Lilywhites are alleged to be facing plenty of competition for the 27-year-old, with the likes of Borussia Dortmund, AC Milan and Arsenal also credited with an interest in the Leipzig star.
Reports emerged from Germany last week that Bayern Munich had entered the race for Sabitzer, with Julian Naglesmann said to be keen on reuniting with the midfielder at the Allianz Arena.
It was asserted the Bundesliga champions were working on an €18m (£15.2m) deal for the former Rapid Wein man.
Sabitzer missed Leipzig’s pre-season friendly against Sandhausen on Saturday due to an injury but Marsch conceded after the game the midfielder could depart.
The Leipzig boss told BILD: “I have also heard a lot about the rumours about his injury. But it’s a real injury. But that doesn’t take long.
“Sabi is quite possible to leave. He’s only got one year left – let’s see what happens to him.”
Spurs Web Opinion
I suspect it was Mourinho who was punishing Sabitzer’s case to the club as the speculation linking Spurs with Austrian has died down since Paratici’s appointment. I believe the 27-year-old is likely to end up at Bayern Munich before the window closes.
Have something to tell us about this article?