Anthony Joshua’s world heavyweight title fight against Kubrat Pulev, which was scheduled to take place at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium on 20 June could be moved to July, says promoter Eddie Hearn.
Tottenham confirmed earlier this month that the IBF, WBA, WBO and IBO heavyweight boxing champion, Joshua, will defend his world titles against Kubrat Pulev at the club’s new stadium.
The North Londoners reportedly saw off competition from rivals Arsenal to win the right to host the fight, despite the Gunners making a late play to host the event at the Emirates (The Sun).
However, amidst sporting events in the UK, as well as many parts of Europe, being suspended due to the spread of the coronavirus, Matchroom Sport chairman Barry Hearn revealed a few days ago that there was a lot of uncertainty surrounding the event (talkSPORT).
Eddie Hearn has now revealed that the event could be shifted to July but indicated that it is still likely to go ahead.
Speaking to Sky Sports, the promoter said: “We do have a potential date in July but, right now, we are hoping June 20 can remain the date.”
Hearn also revealed that he was in close communication with Tottenham to “make sure we’re all on the same page”.
He added, “We know we have the same strategy moving forward. Obviously, the Premier League decision will play a big part in a number of sports. Plans to put new dates in place and that fight as well.”
Spurs Web Opinion
It is very hard to predict when normalcy will return regards to the sporting calendar as we are arguably yet to see the worst of the coronavirus problem. It looks unlikely that mass gatherings will be allowed to resume within the next couple of months. A lot depends on how effective the government efforts are at dealing with the spread of COVID-19.
Have something to tell us about this article?