Report: Newcastle leading race for 20-year-old linked with Spurs

0
Image: SpursWeb

Newcastle United are reportedly the front runners to sign Burnley winger Dwight McNeil, who has also been linked with a move to Spurs.

The 20-year-old has had an impressive season and has established himself as a key member of Sean Dyche’s side.

Spurs are said to have held a longstanding interest in the youngster with The Sun on Sunday (30/6/19; page 59) reporting that the Lilywhites tried to sign him before landing Jack Clarke last summer.

The Guardian reported that the Burnley man was once again on Spurs’ radar during the January transfer window (Guardian).

Reports indicate that the North Londoners face a massive fight on their hands for the youngster’s signature with the likes of Everton, Wolves, Leicester City (TEAMtalk) all interested in signing the wide man this summer.

The Chronicle reported earlier this month that Newcastle United were also interested in McNeil for whom Burnley were said to be demanding £35million.

The Magpies are said to be on the verge of a takeover by the Saudi Arabian Public Investment Fund (PIF) who have a reported wealth of £320bn which is significantly more than the £3.9bn which Spurs owner Joe Lewis has in the bank (Daily Mail).

Spurs Web Opinion

McNeil is many respects is an old-fashioned winger who likes to get down the byline and get balls into the box. I can see why he is a player that Mourinho will like as his work rate and discipline make him a valuable option to have. However, the jury is still out on whether he is good enough for us at the moment.

Newcastle’s takeover would put them in a completely different playing field to Tottenham when it comes to transfer funds, with £35million for McNeil appearing to be pocket change for the Saudi’s compared to what Spurs could afford.

Have something to tell us about this article?

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.