Ndombele has been frozen out of the first-team picture at Spurs and The Athletic’s Charlie Eccleshare told GiveMeSport last week that the North London club might have no choice but to loan the midfielder out again this summer due to his bumper salary.
This was also backed up by a report in The Sun on Wednesday, which claimed Spurs had been frustrated by their inability to sell the Frenchman and are open to loaning him out.
Corriere have now revealed that Napoli are set to enter the race for Ndombele, with the Serie A club said to have identified the Spurs star as a replacement for Fabian Ruiz, who is expected to join Paris Saint-Germain.
The report claims the 25-year-old knows his future lies away from Tottenham and he is aware that ‘he can longer make the wrong choice’ if he wants to get his career back on track.
It is asserted that Ndombele is pushing for ‘a definitive sale’ rather than a loan with an option to buy and is even prepared to ‘reduce his salary’ in order to make that happen.
Corriere add that the former Lyon man wants to play regularly and is still hopeful that he can impress Didier Deschamps in a last-ditch attempt to make the France squad for the World Cup.
Sky Sports have also reported that Tottenham and Napoli are in talks, with a deal said to be ‘progressing’.
Spurs Web Opinion
Realistically speaking, Ndombele would have to take a substantial wage cut (probably more than 50 per cent) for Tottenham to have any chance of selling him permanently. It remains to be seen if the Frenchman would be willing to do that. I still think a loan move is the most likely outcome for the 25-year-old this summer.
Have something to tell us about this article?