TuttoMercatoWeb have revealed that Inter Milan midfielder Marcelo Brozovic turned down the chance to join Tottenham Hotspur ‘recently’.

Tottenham had a midfield clear-out during January, with Dele Alli being sold to Everton, while Tanguy Ndombele and Giovani Lo Celso were loaned out to Lyon and Villarreal respectively.

Spurs snapped up Rodrigo Bentancur from Juventus to reinforce their midfield and the Uruguayan produced a promising cameo from the bench on his debut for the North Londoners against Brighton on Saturday.

CalcioMercato.it reported back in November that Brozovic was another midfield option on Antonio Conte’s radar, with the Italian said to be keen on reuniting with the Croat at Spurs.

The 29-year-old is into the final six months of his contract at Inter (Transfermarkt) and Italian journalist Fabrizio Biasin told CMIT TV last week that Conte did try to take the experienced midfielder to Tottenham during January.

This claim has now been backed up by TMW, who suggest that Brozovic received ‘two important proposals’ from Spurs and Newcastle ‘recently’.

However, it is asserted that the Inter star turned down both offers as he was keen to remain at the San Siro.

Spurs Web Opinion

I would not be surprised if Brozovic was high on Conte’s wishlist in January, as far as midfield targets were concerned. 

Perhaps, the Italian’s statement about Bentancur and Kulusevski both fitting Tottenham’s philosophy of signing young players (Football.London) was a hint that he had to compromise on his wish to sign experienced campaigns like Brozovic.

Have something to tell us about this article?