Report: Southampton enter race for player who told Mourinho he wants to leave

0
Image: SpursWeb

According to a report in the print edition of the Daily Mirror (January 15, page 49), Southampton have now entered the race for Spurs defender Kyle Walker-Peters.

The young full-back has hardly seen any game time recently, with his appearance in the 3-1 defeat to Bayern Munich in the Champions League last month being the only time he has been used by Jose Mourinho.

Walker-Peters has been linked with a move to Crystal Palace this month (Sky Sports) but if the report in the Daily Mirror is to be believed, Palace now face some competition for the 22-year-old’s signature in the form of the Saints.

Saints boss Ralph Hasenhuttl has made the recruitment a new right-back a priority this month and has identified the Spurs defender as a target.

The report also claims that Walker-Peters has already told Mourinho that he wants to quit Spurs in favour of a new challenge.

Spurs Web Opinion

If you had asked me a year ago, I would have been completely against selling Walker-Peters and still believed that he had the potential to make the right-back spot his own. However, the youngster has looked defensively suspect in the opportunities he has been handed and it looks like Mourinho has decided that he doesn’t fancy him.

Have something to tell us about this article?

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.