Vertonghen’s contract was set to run out at the end of June but the defender has signed an extension that will see him remain at Tottenham until the completion of the current campaign.
The defender did not feature in Tottenham’s first two matches since the restart but came on a substitute for the final twenty minutes of Spurs’ 3-1 defeat to Sheffield United on Thursday, replacing Ben Davies at left-back.
Several clubs in both Spain and Italy are said to be interested in snapping up the central defender when he becomes a free agent (Calcio Mercato).
Vertonghen recently admitted in an interview to Sports 24 that ‘things are moving a lot’ regarding his future.
Turkish outlet Milliyet reported last month that Galatasaray were interested in snapping up the 33-year-old.
Ertan Suzgun (via by Sport Witness) now reports that Besiktas have begun talks with Vertonghen after getting a positive report from their technical team regarding the centre-half.
Talks are currently said to be ongoing with the Tottenham defender over a deal but it is said that the Turkish giants have also identified backup options in case they are not able to get the deal for Vertonghen over the line.
? ÖZEL – Beşiktaş, Tottenham ile sözleşmesi biten 33 yaşındaki Vertonghen’le görüşüyor.
? Teknik heyete fikir soruldu, olumlu rapor alındı.
? Şartları hakkında görüşülüyor.
? Stoperde Alanyaspor’dan Welinton, Porto’dan Awaziem de listedeki isimler. pic.twitter.com/FsvhcB5UUi
— Ertan Süzgün (@ertansuzgun) July 1, 2020
Spurs Web Opinion
I personally believe Vertonghen still has a couple of good years left in him at the top level. He could potentially be a terrific option for a top team in Italy. He still appears reasonably fit for his age, and given that he was never really a blessed athlete, I do not believe losing half a yard of pace would affect his game as much as it would some others.
Have something to tell us about this article?