According to AFP journalist, Tom Allnutt, Barcelona have warned Tottenham against making a move for Lucas de Vega this summer.
The central midfielder shot to prominence after impressing on loan at Spanish second division side Cartegena last season.
De Vega, who has come through the ranks at La Masia, currently plays for Barcelona B and is yet to be capped by the senior side.
Sport reported earlier this week that the Brazilian was subject to a £1.8 million bid from Tottenham, which was swiftly turned down by the Spanish giants, who are said to be demanding a fee of around £7 million to part ways with the youngster.
The report claimed that the Lilywhites are facing competition from Sporting Gijon, Malaga, Tenerife, and Real Zaragoza for De Vega’s signature.
However, Allnutt has now squashed Tottenham’s hopes of signing the midfielder by taking to social media to reveal that the Catalans have no desire to let him go.
Barca have told Tottenham Lucas de Vega not for sale. Club asked Pimienta and he said he sees him as key for Barca B this season.
— Tom Allnutt (@TomAllnuttAFP) September 4, 2020
Spurs Web Opinion
I doubt Spurs would have made an offer De Vega in the first-place unless they had been informed by intermediaries that he could be available. Given Barca’s perilous financial situation, perhaps the Lilywhites just wanted to test the waters to see how much the Catalans would demand for the youngster.
Have something to tell us about this article?