Report: Tottenham get Heung-min Son boost ahead of Newcastle clash

0
Heung-min Son
Chris Brunskill/Fantasista/Getty Images)

Tottenham Hotspur have been handed a major boost ahead of their clash against Newcastle today, with Yonhap News reporting that the forward has tested negative for COVID-19.

There were rumours doing the rounds on Saturday that two Tottenham stars had contracted COVID and would thus be unavailable for the clash against the Magpies.

Son, who featured for South Korea in their World Cup qualifiers against Syria and Iran during the international, was thought to be one of the two players. Although, it has to be said this was never confirmed by Tottenham or Son himself.

Nuno Espirito Santo acknowledged during his press conference that the team is now facing “huge issues” but said he would not elaborate further before the game.

However, Yonhap have now revealed that Son has returned a negative test ahead of the clash and could thus be eligible to make the trip to St James’ Park.

A local source familiar with the situation is quoted as saying: “Tonight, I was contacted by the agent saying, ‘Son has tested negative and will play against Newcastle tomorrow (17th).’

The 29-year-old’s has been in fine form for the Lilywhites so far this season and his availability will come as a huge boost for Nuno’s men.

Spurs Web Opinion

This is fantastic news but we might not know for sure how credible it is until we see the teamsheet before kick-off.

Having Son available will be huge as we will lack a cutting-edge in the final third if the South Korean is unavailable, especially considering the form Harry Kane is in.

Have something to tell us about this article?

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.