Barcelona maestro Lionel Messi won the Ballon d’Or for the record sixth time in his career on Monday night as he edged out Liverpool defender Virgil van Dijk and Juventus forward Cristiano Ronaldo.
Messi was the major favourite to walk home with the award going into the evening after scoring 54 times for club and country in the 2018/19 season and helping Barcelona to yet another La Liga title (BBC).
From a Spurs perspective, two of Tottenham’s first-team stars made the top 25 in the final rankings. Fox Sports Asia have published a list of the top 30 players on the list and both Hugo Lloris and Son Heung-min find themselves in the list after helping Spurs to the final of the Champions League last season.
While Son gets in at 22nd, Lloris is one place behind his Spurs teammate and one ahead of Barcelona goalkeeper, Marc-Andre ter Stegen.
Here is the full list as published in the article above:
=28 Marquinhos (PSG)
=28 Donny van de Beek (Ajax)
=28 Joao Felix (Atletico Madrid)
=26 Giorginio Wijnaldum (Liverpool)
=26 Karim Benzema (Real Madrid)
=24 Kalidou Koulibaly (Napoli)
=24 Marc-Andre ter Stegen (Barcelona)
23. Hugo Lloris (Tottenham)
22. Son Heung-min (Tottenham)
=20 Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (Arsenal)
=20 Dusan Tadic (Ajax)
19. Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool)
18. Antoine Griezmann (Barcelona)
17. Roberto Firmino (Liverpool)
16. Sergio Aguero (Manchester City)
15. Matthijs de Ligt (Ajax)
14. Kevin de Bruyne (Manchester City)
13. Eden Hazard (Real Madrid)
12. Raheem Sterling (Manchester City)
11. Frenkie de Jong (Barcelona)
10. Riyad Mahrez (Manchester City)
9. Bernardo Silva (Manchester City)
8. Robert Lewandowski (Bayern Munich)
7. Alisson (Liverpool)
6. Kylian Mbappe (PSG)
5. Mohamed Salah (Liverpool)
4. Sadio Mane (Liverpool)
3. Cristiano Ronaldo (Juventus)
2. Virgil van Dijk (Liverpool)
1. Lionel Messi (Barcelona)
Spurs Web Opinion
It does look very much like this was skewed by the performances in the Champions League as opposed to performances across the entire season. Lloris didn’t have the best of seasons last time out but was quite brilliant in some European ties especially the away game against Dortmund. Son’s inclusion is fully deserved and perhaps the South Korean will be disappointed not be a bit higher on that list.
Have something to tell us about this article?