Sky Sports journalist Michael Bridge has claimed that Tottenham did hold talks with Gareth Bale this summer but added that the North London club are not expected to follow through with their interest.
Bale is now a free agent after his contract with Real Madrid ran out, and it was reported previously that he could return to Spurs for a third spell (El Nacional).
However, Football.London’s Alasdair Gold stated at the start of this month that despite Fabio Paratici being a big fan of Bale, the feeling inside the Welshman’s camp, as well as those at Spurs, is that a return to the Lilywhites is unlikely for the player.
The Telegraph also subsequently claimed Spurs have no plans to re-sign the 32-year-old this summer.
Bridge has now said that the Wales international is more likely to join a club like Cardiff than Tottenham. He explained that Bale might decide to hang up his boots after the World Cup in November, which is why clubs like Spurs are not likely to consider him.
Over recent weeks, Bale has been heavily linked with a return to his hometown club Cardiff City (BBC Sport). Sky Sports (22/06/22 at 14:38) also reported that Cardiff are one of a number of options available to Bale this summer.
WalesOnline reported the 32-year-old was spotted at Cardiff’s training centre on Wednesday morning and claimed he held talks with manager Steve Morison, with discussions centred around Bale’s future.
Watch what Michael Bridge said on Sky Sports below:
❌ Tottenham are not in the race to sign Gareth Bale this summer pic.twitter.com/pbxzeg5YbW
— Football Daily (@footballdaily) June 22, 2022
Spurs Web Opinion
I never thought that Bale returning to Spurs was a realistic possibility this summer. I do not think the Welshman’s body would have been able to cope with the intensity of Conte’s training.
The 32-year-old’s full focus is clearly on the World Cup rather and he does not seem to have the motivation to prove himself at club level anymore.
Have something to tell us about this article?