Sevilla sporting director Monchi has ruled out the signing of Real Madrid star Isco, who is reported to be on Tottenham’s radar.

Isco’s stock has fallen considerably over the last few years and the attacking midfielder has had to be content with a bit-part role at Real Madrid over the last two seasons.

The 29-year-old’s future is now up in the air as his current contract at the Santiago Bernabeu runs out in the summer (Trasfermarkt).

The print edition of The Sunday Mirror (06/06/21, page 77) revealed last summer that the Spain international was on Tottenham’s radar.

The same publication (The Mirror’s transfer live update – 02/01, 10:46) claimed in January that Real Madrid had offered the 29-year-old to Spurs.

Sport reported last week that Sevilla are keen on snapping up Isco on a free transfer when the transfer window reopens in the summer. However, Monchi has now insisted that the Real Madrid man is not on the La Liga club’s wishlist.

The Sevilla chief told Mucho Deporte: “I haven’t heard Julen [Lopetegui] say he wants Isco. He has said he is a good player. And if you ask me I’d say he’s a good player. He’s different from [Jesus] Corona.

“With Corona there was a shared interest between what Lopetegui wanted and the recruitment side. Lopetegui likes Isco and so do I, but I will say nothing is happening.”

Spurs Web Opinion

I do not see Spurs entering the race for Isco’s signature in the summer as I do not believe the 29-year-old would be a good fit for Conte’s system.

Isco does not have the ideal attributes to play as one of the two number tens behind the striker in our system. The Spaniard’s work rate off the ball also falls short of what Conte expects of his forwards.

Have something to tell us about this article?

Keep up to date with all the latest Tottenham news and opinion by following SpursWeb’s Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts.