Shakhtar Donetsk CEO Sergei Palkin has said he is hoping to agree a compromise with Tottenham Hotspur over Manor Solomon’s proposed move to the North London club.
Even though the Israeli international’s current contract at Shakhtar runs until December, he is now technically a free agent after FIFA ruled in May that all foreign players based in Ukraine and Russia would be able to suspend their contracts again for a further year.
However, Palkin is hopeful that Spurs will be able to compensate Shakhtar for the player and admitted that he plans to speak to the Premier League club when the Ukrainian side play a pre-season friendly against Ange Postecolgou’s men at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium on August 6.
Shakhtar will have a meeting with Spurs next month
Palkin told The Athletic: “Tottenham is an established, respected club with a big history and a huge number of fans around the globe.
“We are sure Tottenham executives understand that Shakhtar invested significant money in the Solomon transfer, investment that Ukrainian clubs in our difficult position, simply cannot afford to lose.
“We hope we will have a meeting with Tottenham representatives on the eve of our friendly match and in good faith we will find a solution to the Manor Solomon issue. The solution should satisfy both sides.”
Palkin had previously warned at the start of June that he would take Spurs to court if they sign Solomon on a free transfer as it would be unfair if Shaktar do not get a fee for the 23-year-old (ESPN).
Spurs Web Opinion
Some might view Tottenham’s tactics in snapping up Solomon on a free transfer as extremely opportunistic and maybe even immoral.
However, the world of football has always been ruthless, with all clubs operating in their own self-interest.
I suspect that Spurs managed to persuade Shakhtar to not take this issue to court by offering them a pre-season friendly at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.
Perhaps, the North London club will pay a small compensation to the Ukrainian side.
Have something to tell us about this article?