‘Space for improvement’ – Eric Dier asked about potential England recall

0
Eric Dier
(Photo by Matthew Ashton - AMA/Getty Images)

Eric Dier has said that he is not thinking about returning to the England squad and is fully focussed on playing well for Tottenham.

Dier has been an ever-present in the middle of Spurs’ back three since Antonio Conte arrived at the club ten months ago. 

The 28-year-old was one of several players in the Tottenham squad who had struggled in the final few months of Jose Mourinho’s reign at the club but he has hardly put a foot wrong since the start of last season.

Earlier this month, Conte remarked that Dier is becoming one of the best centre-backs in the Premier League and praised the defender’s desire to keep improving (Football.London).

Reports indicate that the Tottenham man is on the verge of being recalled to the England squad after almost two years (Daily Mail), with the squad for the Nations League clashes against Italy and Germany this month set to be named by Gareth Southgate on Thursday.

When asked about his own form and whether he is hopeful of returning to the Three Lions set-up, Dier told Football.London: “I am happy with how the season has started.

“For me, there is always space for improvement and I’m trying my best to keep doing that, to keep improving. 

“I think I still have a lot of space for that and, to be honest, I’m not thinking about anything else other than the game tomorrow and trying to play well for Tottenham.”

Spurs Web Opinion

I thought it was ridiculous that Southgate left Dier out of the squad for the Nations League fixtures back in May. I do not think the England boss will make the same decision again as the Spurs star has undoubtedly been the best English centre-back in the Premier League for the last 12 months.

Have something to tell us about this article?

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.