In a little under three hours time, Tottenham Hotspur will play in their first ever Champions League final when they take to the field against Madrid.
Spurs are looking to secure their first Champions League trophy against Jurgen Klopp’s side who have already been branded as favourites. Here are all of the top stats and facts ahead of kick-off.
- Tottenham Hotspur are playing in their first ever European Cup/Champions League final, and are the eighth different English side to do so. The last five first-time finalists have ended up on the losing side (Chelsea 2008, Arsenal 2006, Monaco 2004, Bayer Leverkusen 2002 and Valencia 2000).
- This is only the second all-English European Cup final (Manchester United v Chelsea in 2008 the other) and only the third in all European competition (the other was the 1972 UEFA Cup final between Tottenham and Wolves)
- Whoever wins will provide England with their 13th victory in this competition, moving them above Italy on 12 with only Spain (18) having more
- Liverpool and Tottenham have met just once before in Europe in the 1972-73 UEFA Cup semi-final. The Reds won 1-0 at Anfield thanks to Alec Lindsay’s effort, and although Martin Peters scored twice for Spurs in the return leg, a Steve Heighway strike sent Liverpool through on away goals. Liverpool went on to lift the trophy
- Liverpool have lost just one of the last 14 meetings between the sides – the 4-1 league defeat at Wembley in October 2017
- This is Tottenham’s fifth European final (Cup-Winners’ Cup 1963, UEFA Cup 1972, 1974 and 1984)
- Mauricio Pochettino suffered his first defeat as Spurs manager against Liverpool in August 2014 (3-0 at White Hart Lane). He has won three of 14 meetings, drawing four and losing seven
- Victory for Tottenham would see them become the 23rd different team to lift the trophy and the 14th in the Champions League era. The last team to win the cup for the first time was Chelsea in 2012
- Should they win they will join Juventus, Ajax, Bayern Munich, Chelsea and Manchester United as winners of all three major European competitions.
- Son Heung-min is the highest scoring Asian player in Champions League history (12 goals)
- The only previous meeting between Liverpool and Tottenham in a major final was in the 1982 English League Cup final, with the Reds coming from behind to win 3-1 after extra-time.
- Mauricio Pochettino is only the third Tottenham manager to guide the club to a major European final, after Bill Nicholson and Keith Burkinshaw. It’s only the second final the Argentine has reached during his time as a manager in Europe, after the 2015 League Cup final with Spurs (0-2 vs Chelsea).
- Tottenham’s Lucas Moura scored a hat-trick in their win at Ajax to see them into the final, scoring more goals in that game than he had in his previous 16 appearances in the competition beforehand (2).
Have something to tell us about this article?