Stat experts predict Tottenham’s chances of qualification against Leipzig

0
Tottenham Hotspur Stadium
Dom Le Roy

According to data analysis website, Five Thirty Eight, of all the ties in the Champions League round of 16 stage, the match between Tottenham and RB Leipzig is one of the hardest to call.

After crunching the numbers, the website gave the Bundesliga side a 58% chance of progressing while Spurs were given 42%. Based on their predictions, the only tie which was closer to call is the Atlanta vs Valencia tie with the Italians being favourites with 57% chance of progressing into the quarterfinals.

Leipzig are currently sitting pretty at the top of the Bundesliga table and have the advantage of playing the second leg at home, which is why it’s unsurprising that they are favourites.

However, the website has given Spurs just a paltry 6% chance of repeating last year’s achievement by reaching the Champions League final and a mere 2% chance of winning the competition.

The numbers suggest that just five teams left in the competition having a smaller chance of winning it than Spurs, with Manchester City being installed as tournament favourites with a 24% chance of lifting the trophy.

Spurs Web Opinion

This isn’t really surprising considering how well Leipzig are doing at present under Julian Nagelsmann. However, most Spurs fans would have still take the tie over the facing the likes of Barcelona or PSG. Tottenham’s chances of going to the final will very much depend on how lucky we are with the draw.

Have something to tell us about this article?

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.