Antonio Conte has given a rather cryptic answer to why Giovani Lo Celso was not included in Tottenham’s squad to face Chelsea this evening.
When asked why the Argentine had been left out, the Spurs boss simply replied that he selected the players he wanted for this game and the rest was for the club to answer.
He said (Football London): “But I selected the players for this game and then, for this question there is the club.”
This comes after GOAL reported this evening that Tottenham are open to selling both Lo Celso and Dele Alli before the January transfer window closes in the next week or so.
Conte decided to name academy graduate Harvey White on the bench against Chelsea over Dele and Lo Celso, while also lining up with a rather strange starting XI.
Lo Celso himself has addressed the questions about his lack of game time with a post on his Instagram story just before kick-off, stating he is fully fit and ready to play.
He said: “Regarding the questions I received, I would like to clear out that I am 100 per cent in good physical condition. I have no problem and I feel very well. I wish the best to my team in the derby today.”
Lo Celso via Instagram following his exclusion from today's squad 😳 pic.twitter.com/yGVAbUlpv4
— The Spurs Web ⚪️ (@thespursweb) January 23, 2022
Spurs Web Opinion:
Reading between the lines, I am hearing that Conte does not fancy the likes of Dele, Lo Celso and Ndombele for his midfield, and is saying the club can do what they want with that information. Of course, this hints that they should sell them and reinvest. It could be an interesting final week of the window.
Have something to tell us about this article?