The 2-1 loss against Liverpool last weekend didn’t only mark a sad defeat for Spurs, but the original date that their brand new stadium was supposed to open.
September 15 was earmarked as the grand opening for the 62,000 seat ground, but delays have pushed this back further and further.
Last month Daniel Levy extended Tottenham’s Wembley stay until December 15, with hopes that the ground would be complete before then.
The club also assured fans that they would update them with any news of testing and an official opening date as soon as they know it.
This hasn’t stopped one report this week from Construction News claiming that the Spurs stadium will not be ready until early 2019.
Tottenham have today sent a statement to SkySports, refuting the claims, and reassuring fans that the opening date will be released as soon as they have confidence that it will actually be met this time around.
The club said: “We have always said that we would issue updates for test events and official opening as soon as we have confidence in our project managers’ and contractors’ ability to deliver against the revised scheduled of works.
“This remains the case and speculating on unsupported dates such as this is irresponsible.”
Have something to tell us about this article?