Tottenham Supporters Trust send clear message to the club after Conte sacking

Tottenham Hotspur Supporters Trust have called on the club to explain their plan moving forward after their decision to part ways with Antonio Conte.

The writing had already been on the wall for Conte for many weeks and the Italian’s position seemingly became untenable after he unleashed a public tirade against the Tottenham players following the 3-3 draw at Southampton.

Multiple outlets claimed over the last week that the 53-year-old had lost the dressing room, with several senior Spurs players hoping for his departure (The Sun).

Tottenham finally confirmed on Sunday night they had parted ways with Conte, with Cristian Stellini set to take over as interim head coach until the end of the season.

THST thanked the Italian for his work at the club and called on Spurs to explain what their strategy is moving forward.

Their statement reads: “THST is concerned to note the departure of another Spurs manager this evening. No supporters want to see their manager leave during the season as it usually means something has gone wrong.

“Despite the difficulties faced this season, THST would like to place on record its thanks to Antonio for his hard work during his 18 months in charge, particularly last season and during that tremendous run-in. We also acknowledge the personal challenges Antonio has faced this season and wish him well as he continues to recover from his operation.

“This departure will come as no surprise to Spurs fans. We are aware many supporters had grown tired of the football associated with the manager, while others felt he was the right man to take the club forward and will be saddened to see him depart.

“The Club’s board must now have a clear strategy for what and who comes next, and it needs to tell this Club’s supporters what that plan is. THST has repeatedly called for this, and fans deserve it.”

THST also pointed out that Daniel Levy had not followed through in his promise of returning to Tottenham’s DNA back in 2021, and called on the hierarchy to respect the traditions of club.

The Trust’s statement continued: “Less than two years ago, at the end of the 2020/21 season in May, Chairman Daniel Levy told supporters the Club would focus on the recruitment of a Head Coach saying they were ‘acutely aware of the need to select someone whose values reflect those of our great Club and a return to playing football with the style for which we are known’.

“Many supporters will feel the appointments of Nuno Espirito Santo and then Antonio Conte following Jose Mourinho’s spell do not reflect the promises made above. In the same statement, Mr Levy said: ‘I feel we lost sight of some key priorities and what’s truly in our DNA.’

“As another season without silverware comes to an end, we would urge the Club Board to reassess those priorities before appointing a manager the entire fanbase will get behind, and building a team that can truly challenge for domestic and European honours, respecting the traditions of our football club.

“We, and all Spurs supporters, will now get behind Cristian Stellini, Ryan Mason and the coaching team, in pushing the team towards securing another top-four finish.”

Antonio Conte
(Photo by Alex Davidson/Getty Images)

Spurs Web Opinion

This is a very good statement by THST and the demand for some communication regarding the club’s long-term strategy is a very fair one, particularly after the direction that Spurs have taken with their last three managerial appointments.

Keep up to date with all the latest Tottenham news and opinion by following SpursWeb’s Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts.

Related Topics
Have something to tell us about this article? Let us know