Spurs Web
Craig Truespur

Jose's Poor player management

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2021/04/20/report-mourinho-absolutely-shattered-15m-tottenham-players-confidence/

Well this just says it all doesn't it how did he not get kicked out earlier he was ruining the players confidence you're supposed to be there to motivate and be an inspiration and a mentor.

The alarm bells rang with Dele straight away didn't they how you could not get the best out of him by sitting down and talking to him and nurturing him back but then he's done it to Doherty we all wondered what happened to him when he went downhill.

He really was an outdated dinosaur twatt with no man management skills.

two players he could have criticized would have been Winks and dier I'll forgive him for that but still I would encourage them to improve in the areas that they're crap at....

1 minute ago, Craig Truespur said:

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2021/04/20/report-mourinho-absolutely-shattered-15m-tottenham-players-confidence/

Well this just says it all doesn't it how did he not get kicked out earlier he was ruining the players confidence you're supposed to be there to motivate and be an inspiration and a mentor.

The alarm bells rang with belly straight away didn't they how you could not get the best out of him by sitting down and talking to him and nurturing him back but then he's done it to Doherty we all wondered what happened to him when he went downhill.

He really was an outdated dinosaur twatt with no man management skills

I agree with you, Craig. 

I know I was unhappy with his appointment but was prepared to give him my support if he led the club to success. I may even have started to like him. 

For me, sadly, I only saw the a nasty, conceited man who was unable to get the best out of a half decent squad who never accepted any blame and too often blamed the players. 

His supporters can praise him and make excuses for him, but the bottom line is he failed miserably to fulfill his promises. On the basis of his 17 months results, even if he had been given another season I have no faith in him changing the fortunes of the club. 

COYS 

13 minutes ago, Jamesinashby said:

I agree with you, Craig. 

I know I was unhappy with his appointment but was prepared to give him my support if he led the club to success. I may even have started to like him. 

For me, sadly, I only saw the a nasty, conceited man who was unable to get the best out of a half decent squad who never accepted any blame and too often blamed the players. 

His supporters can praise him and make excuses for him, but the bottom line is he failed miserably to fulfill his promises. On the basis of his 17 months results, even if he had been given another season I have no faith in him changing the fortunes of the club. 

COYS 

Even my Chelsea mate said he's just poison it'll ruin the club and on the roller coaster we was on he did internally  with the confidence of the players.

I kind of respected Mourinho for speaking up about out players not giving it 100% but it was his job to motivate them. And blame the players for the Tactics when he's bloody manager and he set up the team and to start Dyer again just showed how inept  and useless he was.

How many times did he play Wink before realising he was just championship fodder.

How many times did he leave substitutions much too late, factors if there were crowds in the stands they would have food him down the tunnel he would have been gone months ago with the poor performances and the bad decisions he was making to come out second half as bad as the first half proved he was a crap manager

Telegraph published an article today (unfortunately subscription required) that stated Mourinho was totally opposed to the re-signing of Gareth Bale and the deal was done with the full backing of Daniel Levy only. That would definitely explain why the Welshman was left sitting on the bench as often as he was. Must have been a massive behind the scenes power struggle.

34 minutes ago, Borodin said:

Telegraph published an article today (unfortunately subscription required) that stated Mourinho was totally opposed to the re-signing of Gareth Bale and the deal was done with the full backing of Daniel Levy only. That would definitely explain why the Welshman was left sitting on the bench as often as he was. Must have been a massive behind the scenes power struggle.

His antagonism towards Gareth and not playing him, imo was a major factor for having such a poor season.

COYS

7 hours ago, Jamesinashby said:

I agree with you, Craig. 

COYS 

You’re right James, and you had him pegged long ago. I felt his experience and his pedigree might take us higher than ever but it’s clear that football has passed him by, both as a manager and a man. But while we can wonder how he lasted so long - probably just because he was a white elephant - the same acrimonious end we saw happened at Man United.

It’s true that many of the defenders aren’t good enough but this was nothing about Tottenham and far more about Mourinho’s failings as a man manager as you said. 

10 hours ago, Jamesinashby said:

I agree with you, Craig. 

COYS 

On the basis of his 17 months, Spurs were the 4th best performing team in the PL.

10 hours ago, Cromulentmart said:

On the basis of his 17 months, Spurs were the 4th best performing team in the PL.

I judge success differently to those stats, Crom.

DL says he sacked Mourinho because he feared that up to 10 players would leave this summer if Mourinho stayed!!! That is hardly a glowing reference. Another set of stats I saw said  that if the season had started in mid January, Spurs would be in the bottom 3 with Southampton and Sheff Utd. 

We got to the League Cup final with cushy drawers that only needed the B team to get us there - is that really a fantastic achievement? Not in my eyes. We were knocked out of the FA Cup and of Europe by teams we should have beaten. Is that 100% the players fault as Mourinho seemed to imply? 

I have never liked Mourinho but gave him my full support to the extent I always hoped he would succeed - for me the club comes first. That said, I personally think he has fallen well short of what he was brought in to provide, and in 17 months showed no evidence that he was moving us in the right direction. 

Perhaps we can agree to disagree on our opinions of the man. 

COYS 

2 minutes ago, Hastingsyid said:

José 's last six jobs

C helsea
I nter
R eal
C helsea
U nited
S purs

You couldn't make it up!

Brilliant!

Better still, his last 2 with Man U and us he turned into a Circus.  LOL

COYS 

I think we owe Pogba a small wink and a smile for speaking out at the perfect time.  I wouldn't be surprised if his comments just added to the issues being expressed by our players.

3 hours ago, Jamesinashby said:

DL says he sacked Mourinho because he feared that up to 10 players would leave this summer if Mourinho stayed!!! That is hardly a glowing reference. Another set of stats I saw said  that if the season had started in mid January, Spurs would be in the bottom 3 with Southampton and Sheff Utd. 

We got to the League Cup final with cushy drawers that only needed the B team to get us there - is that really a fantastic achievement? Not in my eyes. We were knocked out of the FA Cup and of Europe by teams we should have beaten. Is that 100% the players fault as Mourinho seemed to imply? 

I have never liked Mourinho but gave him my full support to the extent I always hoped he would succeed - for me the club comes first. That said, I personally think he has fallen well short of what he was brought in to provide, and in 17 months showed no evidence that he was moving us in the right direction. 

COYS 

I don't disagree with your opinion of him. I didn't want him at Spurs and anyone who can be bothered to go back 17 months on this forum will see that, but I don't see he was worse than Poch as far as results are concerned. You mention the lucky way we got to the final and you are right - but just look at the Ajax and Man City games if you want luck. 

The players were definitely to blame for the losses to Zagreb and Everton but so was JM. 

I am not sorry he has gone but I  fear that we will be no better off because of it.

1 hour ago, Cromulentmart said:

I am not sorry he has gone but I  fear that we will be no better off because of it.

Our biggest problem mate, we never seem to learn from our mistakes. The club identified there was a problem with Poch and decided to dispense of his services. Daniel perhaps felt the squad was under achieving and needed to be taken that final step further in order for success in trophies and titles. We'll never know exactly why Poch was sacked but to have Mourinho sitting in the shadows just waiting to be announced the next day seemed extremely ruthless.

I can only assume that José put his impressive CV on the table and said Spurs were certain of some silverware with him in control and Levy took the bait. Yes the guy is a winner but his successes have become less and less impressive as the years roll by and talk of dressing room unrest and player / manager confrontations have followed him wherever he has gone. It was a massive gamble and didn't pay off.

All I can hope for is that the players have had a huge weight lifted from their shoulders and are eager to show just what they can do by having a carrot given them rather than being hit with a stick.

Let's hope Levy uses the time wisely  between now and the end of the season in selecting the next manager and the likes of Kane and Son are persuaded to stay for at least one more term.

7 hours ago, Jamesinashby said:

COYS 

Oooo er Missus !

;o)

Tottenham: Jose Mourinho spent four hours telling players 'home truths' after being sacked

https://www.givemesport.com/1679719-tottenham-jose-mourinho-spent-four-hours-telling-players-home-truths-after-being-sacked

Hard to believe and yet knowing him as we do, his history does suggest such a response would be the result of his dismissal.

Anyway, he's history now and we move on....COYS !!

1 hour ago, Borodin said:

Tottenham: Jose Mourinho spent four hours telling players 'home truths' after being sacked

https://www.givemesport.com/1679719-tottenham-jose-mourinho-spent-four-hours-telling-players-home-truths-after-being-sacked

Hard to believe and yet knowing him as we do, his history does suggest such a response would be the result of his dismissal.

Anyway, he's history now and we move on....COYS !!

I suppose, to be fair, Mourhino has a point. The players on the field at the time must take their share of the responsibility. That said, the opposition have a say in the matter and they can outplay us, so there is a defence for the players if the other side is the better team on the day. 

Where I can't defend Mourhino is my perception of his man management skills. Over the years I have seen situations where mangers upset those they are in charge of and the quality of standards required fall away.

I saw a brief period at the beginning of the season where the players seemed happy and the results took us to the top of the table. It didn't look a fluke to me and I started to believe Mourinho may well provide the success we craved. 

Then we saw senior players being sidelined and not even making the bench. His team choices with different pairings and playing some 2 different positions appeared to unsettle a side that were playing well. The more games that went against us, it seemed the more he messed the players around, and the more the performances became lacklustre. That led to the blame game with Mourinho as good as saying it was the players fault. 

For me that was when the rot set in and, my view, the bulk of the problem switched from the players back to the coach. His heavy handedness didn't work at Utd and it appears it hasn't worked at Spurs. 

DL must also carry a big share of the blame for bringing in a new coach who was clearly destroying Man Utd

Then there were the players we bought, and whoever was behind the choice have got most of them well wrong. 

It has been a mess from the start and, for me, ultimately the main blame falls on the shoulders of DL and Mourinho. 

COYS 

3 minutes ago, Jamesinashby said:

I suppose, to be fair, Mourhino has a point. The players on the field at the time must take their share of the responsibility. That said, the opposition have a say in the matter and they can outplay us, so there is a defence for the players if the other side is the better team on the day. 

Where I can't defend Mourhino is my perception of his man management skills. Over the years I have seen situations where mangers upset those they are in charge of and the quality of standards required fall away.

I saw a brief period at the beginning of the season where the players seemed happy and the results took us to the top of the table. It didn't look a fluke to me and I started to believe Mourinho may well provide the success we craved. 

Then we saw senior players being sidelined and not even making the bench. His team choices with different pairings and playing some 2 different positions appeared to unsettle a side that were playing well. The more games that went against us, it seemed the more he messed the players around, and the more the performances became lacklustre. That led to the blame game with Mourinho as good as saying it was the players fault. 

For me that was when the rot set in and, my view, the bulk of the problem switched from the players back to the coach. His heavy handedness didn't work at Utd and it appears it hasn't worked at Spurs. 

DL must also carry a big share of the blame for bringing in a new coach who was clearly destroying Man Utd

Then there were the players we bought, and whoever was behind the choice have got most of them well wrong. 

It has been a mess from the start and, for me, ultimately the main blame falls on the shoulders of DL and Mourinho. 

COYS 

I think the problem was Mourinho was the only dynamic manager around at the time to replace poch we needed someone who was experienced at winning and strong minded because it didn't seem like potch to kick the door down and tell DL what the problems were unfortunately Mourinho came at the wrong time because even if he did point out the issues and the players we need it there was no way to get them anyway. 

One of the things I've heard it was a bit of a breakdown with Mourinho's team and some  players didn't like them I told you I was at one of the games when Vertonghen had his black eye and I could see the backroom staff training youngsters at the sidelines they didn't seem to be much rapport happiness or motivation skills going on there and I was a bit anxious watching them. Sounds like this happened to Mourinho's team as well you could tell by the body language on the sideline sometimes the way the team are responding to the staff.

Maybe they should have a motivation coacg and psychiatrists by motivating the team I've said before when they're not performing or putting heart in a game and lost motivation and needs to be taken out and made to do motivational winning training like kickboxing and learn how to fight and have a positive fighting attitude and work as a team. 

I'm feeling more positive about the remainder of this season than I have all year.  And to be fair I am quite sick of discussing Mourinho and as he is gone now I believe it is time to stop discussing him.  I'm not telling you all to do the same but feel the best thing would be to no longer dwell on the 17 month period where he almost completely destroyed Spurs.  

He will no doubt be lingering around Tottenham enough with those that lived with it first hand particularly the players. Healing will take a bit of time, perhaps more time than we have to salvage the season, but the best moment of Mourinho's reign at Spurs was Monday for me.

Onward and upward with Mason now and then, the new Manager whomever that may be.  Mourinho is history.